It seems spring has sprung here in central Texas. That means more hunny-do's and less boat work.
Installed some party lights,
And, started building a stone fire pit. These have kept me busy for a couple weekends.
Finally got back to the MacGregor. First thing we did was to drop the keel.
We put a floor jack just aft of the keels center. Jacked the keel up just enough to get the pivot bolt out. Now it's just held up by the jack and the winch cable in the rear.
Once the pivot bolt is out we lowered the keel until the front rested on the ground.
Pulled the jack out and now winched the rear down.
This system worked very well. Super stable the whole time and predictable. Nice!
Getting the keel down was the easy part! It's amazing how heavy 500lbs is. Especially when you have to drag it through graval
I raided Jimmy Johns shed and came up with the answer.
With the keel out it's time to start sanding the bottom paint.
5/6 hours later and we have a noticable difference.
The next project on the list was a puncture mark through the side of the hull. I ground out all the damaged glass, which ment creating a good size hole. Man this hull is thin!
I cut a couple of progressively bigger pieces of mat glass, sanded the inside of the hull and epoxied the two layers of mat on.
Next was to fill the newly made hole with thickened epoxy and glass strand. All and all it seams like were making forward progress.