• Sponsored By:

22ft MacGregor rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.

Moderator: bateau-webmaster

Re: 22ft MacGregor rebuild

Postby vantuinen1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:55 am

Chief Brody wrote:For spider cracks, I would grind back the individual lines with a dremel tool just to get a wider footprint for the epoxy/primer to bite into.....I think if you just spray over the top, you may cover the crack, but never really fill it and bite...JMO!

I will do that. Sounds like cheap insurance to me!
vantuinen1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Sponsored By:

Postby vantuinen1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:48 pm

It seems spring has sprung here in central Texas. That means more hunny-do's and less boat work.
Installed some party lights,
And, started building a stone fire pit. These have kept me busy for a couple weekends.

Finally got back to the MacGregor. First thing we did was to drop the keel.
We put a floor jack just aft of the keels center. Jacked the keel up just enough to get the pivot bolt out. Now it's just held up by the jack and the winch cable in the rear.
Once the pivot bolt is out we lowered the keel until the front rested on the ground.

Pulled the jack out and now winched the rear down.
This system worked very well. Super stable the whole time and predictable. Nice!
Getting the keel down was the easy part! It's amazing how heavy 500lbs is. Especially when you have to drag it through graval :x
I raided Jimmy Johns shed and came up with the answer. 8)
With the keel out it's time to start sanding the bottom paint. :cry:
5/6 hours later and we have a noticable difference. :D
The next project on the list was a puncture mark through the side of the hull. I ground out all the damaged glass, which ment creating a good size hole. Man this hull is thin! 8O
I cut a couple of progressively bigger pieces of mat glass, sanded the inside of the hull and epoxied the two layers of mat on.
Next was to fill the newly made hole with thickened epoxy and glass strand. All and all it seams like were making forward progress.
vantuinen1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby jimmyjohn » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:40 pm

Chris,

It looks like you are making some great progess on the MacGregor, this is going ot be a good looking boat when you are done.
The backyard lights make for a nice look and it looks like a cool place to hang out at night.
jimmyjohn

Postby vantuinen1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:43 pm

Hey Jim. Glad to see you join the club!
vantuinen1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby vantuinen1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:45 pm

It's been awhile since I've posted but that's not do to lack of work or progress. I made a few different length longboards and got started sanding. We first faired the gelcoat;
Then primed the hull.
We primed and faired four times. I really didn't realize how unfair this hull was until we started sanding. 8O
I don't think I've ever seen a cheaper made hull.
The cabin top and hatch covers have been fixed (more voids in the corners of glass) faired and couple coats of primer.
Seams like three times the work and twice the materials than I originally thought...
vantuinen1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby Chief Brody » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:37 pm

Good work....and lots of it...will pay off in the end!
Chief Brody
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Postby kevinsmac22 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:47 am

The bolts hold a piece of treated 2X8 v notched to rest the keel on when towing and when you park the boat.
kevinsmac22

Previous

Return to Boat Repair and Rebuild Support