My FL 14

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: My FL 14

Post by WHP » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:07 pm

I drilled all holes, cut all parts out for fishing rod holders, hinges row lock plates and .....
all parts are now with one coat epoxy brushed going to sand over it and give it a second coat . I want to turn the boat over on the weekend and start to fibreglass the hull.
With all the waiting started making my own oars .
File 5-1-17, 11 43 03 am.jpeg
File 5-1-17, 11 34 56 am.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

94'325is
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by 94'325is » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:17 am

I wish my FL14 looked like yours, that's going to be a great boat. I really like the gunnels, very nice touch.

WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WHP » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:03 pm

Thanks for that .The gunnels I made of all 9mm ply,left overs. Today I sand over the whole inside to get it smooth so it's ready to paint and turn it over to fiberglass the out side.
Have to start looking for a motor. I thought a 6 hp engine.Any thoughts on that. Is it big enough?

94'325is
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by 94'325is » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:09 am

6hp will be PLENTY, it's not a planing boat (even though I tried my hardest to get it to plane). On my FL14 I used a 4hp Tohatsu 4 stroke 20" shaft and it was plenty of power to move it at hull speed. Per the GPS at about 0.5 throttle I was seeing 6-7mph and full throttle was between 8-9mph but with much more wake and noise.

How much does the 6hp weigh? If it's a 4 stroke it's probably the same weight between the 4, 5 and 6hp models. If that's the case I'd go for the 6hp since for the same weight you can get 50% more power.

remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by remedy32 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:23 am

Your FL14 looks great. The gunwale treatment is really a nice upgrade from the utility look that so many of us have chosen. Don't mean to hijack the thread but I went through the same powering questions 6 years ago. Managed to find my post from then and it might be helpful.
Hi guys,
Seems this topic comes up a lot doesn't it?
This boat will never plane but cruises well with the 6HP at about 5mph. Anything over 6HP is a waste of money, fuel economy and effiency. A 10HP may push her a 1 - 1.5 mph faster.

Can't quite agree about speed Tom. I've got two engines for my FL14, a 15 year old Evinrude 3hp 2 stroke twin and a fairly new Tohatsu 5 hp 4 stroke single. The boat WILL make 10mph or a bit more with the 5 hp wide open and one aboard BUT you need a 6 ft. tiller extension to get to the front of the boat and make this happen. With 2 aboard (650-700 # all up weight) she tops out at about 8 mph. These speeds are all observed making 2 way passes on the GPS to verify and account for current and wind. With the 3 hp she'll make about 8 mph wide open with the same silly tiller extension and about 5.5 mph with 2 aboard.

So what's the "right" engine? In my opinion 3-4 hp 4 stroke as light as possible as Larry B. suggests. If you really want to use the (much bigger and heavier) 8-10 hp motors maybe a different hull would make more sense. FL14 is a great little boat but just "wrong" for trying to go much over 6 mph.
Hope this helps a bit.

Bill

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:13 am

Thank you for the report BIll, I forgot that post.
The FL14 has rocker which makes it a very nice row boat but the rocker is not excessive and that allows it to go a little bit above pure displacement speed when the boat is properly loaded.
What you write about crew location is very important: she will go much faster and ride nicer with a tiller extension.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WHP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Thanks for the replays . Did anybody ever used 6 hp Hangkai outboard ? .Chinese model. It's all about money.

OneWayTraffic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OneWayTraffic » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi WHP. I don't post much on here as I have yet to start building, but I wouldn't touch any off brand Chinese outboard. It will be probably less reliable and certainly less refined than a good brand, and there is no guarantee that you will be able to access parts and repairs. If going Chinese Parsun is the best of the lot, but I'd spend the extra for a little Suzuki, Yam, Honda or Tohatsu. If you need to save money get a 2 stroke or second hand. I'd rather buy a ten year old Tohatsu than a new Hangkai.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:07 pm

Absolutely agree with OneWayTraffic!!!! Jeff

WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WHP » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:29 pm

[image][/image]First to the motor having a look on a 8hp Yamaha 2 stroke short shaft and a 6hp Mercury 2stroke ,both used each $900 baby can get it a bit cheaper.

Turned the boat around cleaned it up and laid out the fibreglass cloth . I find it very hard so the cloth is staying in shape and not losing all this strands where you cut. Any trick to that. Can i fix or hold the cloth temporary where it should be .
Thanks everybody WHP

http://forums.bateau2.com/app.php/galle ... 360/source

http://forums.bateau2.com/app.php/galle ... 359/source

http://forums.bateau2.com/app.php/galle ... 357/source

Can i still use the epoxy wood flour for the fairing?