Solo skiff or FS13

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Saltlife101
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Solo skiff or FS13

Post by Saltlife101 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:23 pm

I have been looking to get a Solo skiff but after seeing the plans for the FS13 i think building would be cheaper. How difficult is it to build? i see the CNC kit for this boat is about under $1000 which is almost $900 cheaper than the solo and would leave me with enough to afford a small outboard. I have never built a boat and i am not to good with woodworking either. Would a first time builder be able to build this boat? Should i just buy the materials or the kit?

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Solo skiff or FS13

Post by Jaysen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Saltlife101 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:23 pm
I have never built a boat and i am not to good with woodworking either. Would a first time builder be able to build this boat? Should i just buy the materials or the kit?
I can't comment on "which one" but I can address the parts I left in the quote...

I'm in the midst of my first build. I bought the v12 CNC kit. I do have woodworking experience but sold all my "good" tools. With the following tools I think ANYONE can build one of the smaller boat from a CNC kit
1. Oscillating multi tool
2. Pliers
3. cordless screwgun/drill
4. A hand saw (not for the wood)
5. Utility knife
That's all you really need. The multi tool can cut all the parts from the CNC sheets as well as cut any of the small notches needed. The screw gun/drill is there to drill a couple holes and maybe help with a few screw. The saw will help you save same $$ by making clamps (PVC pipe) instead of buying them. 90% of the tools you see everyone using (sanders) can be done by hand. And you don't need expensive tools... basic ones will do.

While I consider myself a competent woodworker, I have not really used and real woodworking skills on this. I know a few shortcuts. But I think my wife (who despises woodworking) could do just as good, if not a better job, on this build than I have done. The directions and support of the forum make it a very easy process to succeed at. Just take your time, make sure you understand the step you are about to do, and remember, you can fix it if it goes wrong. I had to cut an entire frame out of my mess and only the wife, the guys on the forum and I will ever know.

All that to say, you can do this. Jacques, Jeff, the eBoat/Bateau team, and everyone on the forum are here to make sure of that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:34 pm

The FS13 and SK14 are each named Solo Skiffs.
In a nutshell:
- I first designed the FS13 as a minimum motorized SUP (paddle board). It is wider than your standard SUP and works well with a trolling motor.
- Builders asked for a wider, more stable boat with more capacity and for those I designed the SK14, much bigger, wider
- From there we progressed to a real little flats boat, not a SUP anymore and that is the FS14_LS

Each one is bigger, more stable than the previous one but bigger cost more.
Don't build an FS13 if you are more than 180 lbs or not very agile or want to take a 2nd person with you but if you meet those conditions, it is a great little boat.

As others have said, anybody or almost anybody can build from a kit.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Saltlife101
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Saltlife101 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I plan on going alone but i randomly might take another person with me. Is the SK14 a planning boat? and would it be able to handle small chop in the bay better than the fs13?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:27 pm

All those boats or boards have planing hull. See the video of the SK14 in another thread, I posted it 2 days ago.
If you plan to take a second person on board, pick the SK14 or bigger. The FS13 is strictly a one person SUP.
There is a funny youtube movie of the FS13 prototype flipping over during the test. We knew it was not a 2 persons boat but wanted to try it anyway.
The "test pilot" (Jeff Warner) build up his courage with a 6 pack of good beer but the board capsized as expected. :D
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

puppydrumn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by puppydrumn » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:35 pm

Saltlife101 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:23 pm
I have been looking to get a Solo skiff but after seeing the plans for the FS13 i think building would be cheaper. How difficult is it to build? i see the CNC kit for this boat is about under $1000 which is almost $900 cheaper than the solo and would leave me with enough to afford a small outboard. I have never built a boat and i am not to good with woodworking either. Would a first time builder be able to build this boat? Should i just buy the materials or the kit?
I would fully recommend the kit, I just purchased one for our son (12 years old) he has done about 85% of the build with supervision of course. Check out our thread... We decided to beef it up a bit but it was our preference (added additional sole deck bracing, went with the long bow deck to allow for storage as well as a casting deck also glassed all stringers, joints inside and out, will also be glassing the entire hull)
Capt. TW

elementfiftyfour
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by elementfiftyfour » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:56 pm

I actually own both the rotomold SoloSkiff and the Bateau Solo Skiff SK14. Yes it is definitely an easy build but it will take patience and a bit more than just the cost of the C&C kit. Like many others, I have likely put at least an additional $500 into supplies, fairing butter, paint and other things that are not included with the kit. To be honest it is actually a bit more after the cost of the grab handle, dry hatch, SS hardware ans so on. Keep in mind that you will be working on this for a number of months before you get finished. I started mine a little after a few others here and finished it in a mere 6+ months of weekends.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great weekend project and if you are looking for something to keep you busy on the weekends, this is a great way to go. If on the other hand you want to go fishing, pick yourself up a SoloSkiff and get out there.

There are a few things I can tell you about the SoloSkiff though. It is pretty heavy for its size, does'nt draft as shallow as the SK14, very cramped pretty wet and is somewhat uncomfortable. It does skoot with a 5HP motor on the back but it is definitely a one person motorized kayak. I have, however, taken my wife out on the SK14 already and easily fished with the two of us.

Saltlife101
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Saltlife101 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:27 pm

Well after reading all the comments and watching that video of the SK14, i might just have to go with the SK14 kit. Im in no hurry to finish the boat so time is not an issue. I live in deep south texas so its almost always fishing weather here :D. Well i've made up my mind and will build the SK14. One more question. I know it would be cheaper to buy the materials alone, but how hard is it to measure and cut the wood? Would you recommend since its gonna be my first build i go with a CNC kit?

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:23 pm

My SK14 is getting close. It's my third Bateau build and I've never used a kit. I like the cut out panels stage. For me it's relaxing and fun to draw the panels. It's not at all hard, I did it as a first time builder with no construction/carpenter experience. The kits would save some time, several weekends, and guarantee things fit. Cut yourself saves money and builds confidence pretty easily. Worse you'll do is screw up and need another sheet of ply, but not likely. It's the old story, time or money.

Since it's a hobby for me, the more time it takes the more bang I get for my money. But if you want on the water now, that's the sensible way.
BTW. I'm glad to read the post that said it did alright with the wife on board, as that is my hope.

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:37 pm

May be a hobby Dougster but you build a great boat!!! Jeff