SK14 build in NC

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
wannabatc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

SK14 build in NC

Post by wannabatc » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:27 am

Wanted to post and ask a few ? and offer my insight into this style boat building.
This is a first for me and I am really enjoying the process. Bought plywood and supplies from boat builder and wanted to give accolades to jeff and the team there they were really great to work with. Everything was shipped unbelievably quickly and couldn't be happier with the service I got from them. As an aside I did a lot of shopping around and I really didn't find anyone else with a better deal. I had originally planned to buy my plywood from a supplier in Raleigh but they were not open on Sat and I would have spent half of my savings just in fuel to drive and pick it up not too mention my time and vehicle depreciation, etc.. y I did not buy a kit cause I wanrted the experience of reading the plans and building.

I am at the point where I would have been had I bought a kit.

I will post some pics and start a build thread hopefully this weekend soon as I figure out the picture thing.
My question is I read the spacing for the stitching is typically 10 inches for the straighter sections then 4-6 inches towards the bow and where more bending occurs. How far from the edge should the holes for he zip ties be? And what size PVC should be used for the stitching?

Thanks for replies, and many thanks to Dougter, BrianC and all the others for their threads showing the way on this neat little boat!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SK14 build in NC

Post by Jeff » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:19 pm

wannabatc, thanks for the kind comments!! Get us some photos posted this weekend!! Jeff

BrianC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BrianC » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:56 pm

wannabatc wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:27 am
My question is I read the spacing for the stitching is typically 10 inches for the straighter sections then 4-6 inches towards the bow and where more bending occurs. How far from the edge should the holes for he zip ties be? And what size PVC should be used for the stitching?
I placed my holes about 0.5" from the edge with a 6" spacing between holes throughout. I made a simple little jig (I saw a similar one on another build thread - can't remember which one) so that I could make marks at a consistent spacing (both between holes and from the edge). It was just a scrap of plywood with a couple of finishing nails just sticking through to the other side:

I just placed in along the edge and pressed it down to mark:

It left easy to see marks that I then drilled through:

I did need to drill a few extra holes up near the bow as you can see in this picture:
Brian

"...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:23 pm

BrianC, really nice work!! Quality craftsmanship!! Jeff

wannabatc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wannabatc » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:08 pm

Hey Brian thanks for the reply. I think I will follow your lead on that. Your build looks great can't wait to see the finishing touches.