FS14-LS bottom glass layout question

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
sunday84
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS14-LS bottom glass layout question

Post by sunday84 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi guys,

I think I'm confused on the layout of the bottom glass wide sheets. From drawing A319/7, the typical frame, it looks like I use 1 sheet per side of the bottom, overlapping the sheer and at the keel. Note Lamination schedule in the notes says 6 inch overlap with the topside (sheer, right?). do I overlap at the keel another 6"? So to dry fit of the starboard side, say starting with the edge of the roll at the transom, then measure out a length that goes 6" from sheer, over the starboard bottom, then 6" past keel onto port side of the bottom (50" toward the bow). Then repeat, starting with the roll edge 6" overlapping the previous layer?

Thanks!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14-LS bottom glass layout question

Post by TomW1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:11 pm

Yes overlap both pieces 6" at the keel.
Restored Mirror Dingy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Desghn courses.

sunday84
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sunday84 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:08 pm

Thanks Tom
I think I'm still wrong. Overlapping from 1 50" strip to the next from transom toward the bow, even if I keep the overlap at just 1" overlap (the picture shows 6", which I kept over the keel), I dont have enough glass for the inside, or really even the transom. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:08 am

The overlaps look fine.
You have to use the leftovers inside. It is tight but there is enough.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

sunday84
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sunday84 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks for the help.
Apparently I need a refresher in geometry. I'm out of cloth, cant cover the transom, let alone the inside. I come 6" past the chine, and 6" past the keel (both directions), 50" lengthwise (width of roll). Offset the edges lengthwise by about 2". Overlapped the transom by 6". No big deal, I'll be heavy I guess? I ordered more, but am curious how to improve for the next time.
In reality, the keel overlap is over 6, less than 8, and the transom is closer to 8". Is that where I wasted material? I have very little scrap.
or Is the overlap at the keel 6" total (so 3 inch each way?). That's the only thing I can come up with to give me extra length.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:07 pm

I will change the BOM: I calculated the surfaces with overlaps and I got exactly what is in the BOM but it is not practical to cut all those little pieces and make a patch work.
Do you have any glass leftover from another project?
The bottom is way too strong with a layer inside and a layer out. I use that lamination for boats up to 18' that go 55 mph. Any type of glass inside will work in this case, even the lightest one.

sunday84
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sunday84 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad I'm at least not going crazy.

No extra glass besides some tape from the NC16 kit. No worries, extra 12oz is on its way.

With all that extra strength strength on the bottom, are you saying I can push this guy up to 55? I'm kidding. Well mostly kidding.

Thanks again for the help

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:39 pm

No, you shouldn't try to get to 55 mph with that boat. :P
I said I design boats that go 55 mph with the same bottom lamination schedule.
This boat is a 25 mph boat and would be fine with thinners fiberglass but the difference in weight would be very small ( 10 lbs) and I like the thicker bottom for the day your run aground on an oyster bed.

sunday84
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sunday84 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:51 pm

I agree, protection from the oyster beds will be nice.

I recieved my order of additional glass last week, and finally had a chance to start cutting the transom. I ordered, according to my understanding of the BOM 12oz 50" 45/45 biax (E_bias_12oz_50)

I notice this new batch seems different than the wide cloth that came with the kit. Not sure if you can tell from the image, the top is the new, the bottom is from the kit:

It looks like the one that came with the kit is tighter than the new, with smaller strands. Do I need to worry, or are the just from different rolls?

Thanks!