• Sponsored By:

20' Dusky Rebuild?

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.

Moderator: bateau-webmaster

20' Dusky Rebuild?

Postby fishbuster » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:25 pm

I'm looking at undertaking a project on a 1989 Dusky 203 FAC. The floors are soft and i kind of figured the transom has some water in it. The stringers look good on where I can see them and I suspect them to be fine throughout. I was wondering if some of yall can give me some advice on which was I should approach this project. Heres some pictures.
Here are some measurements.
LOA 20' 3"
Beam 6'6" inside gunwale 7'6" outside
Stringer width 1 1/4"
height 10"
Transom Width 2"
Deck Width 3/4"
Height of transom to cap 3'6"
Bottom of Hull to deck 1'8"
Bottom of deck to cap 1'10"
Randy
fishbuster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Sponsored By:

Re: 20' Dusky Rebuild?

Postby TomW » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:48 pm

It sounds like that Dusky was definately abused, 20 years is a short period for the life of a Dusky. A 203 is a great boat and should last you for a long time once you repair it. As I recall Dusky uses Renicell for the transom so you should not have much water in the transom. If you have an earlier 203 where they used multilayer plywood like we use in our boats you may need to replace it.

We really can't help yor until we know what materials were used in the original build. i.e. plywood for the sole?, multilayers of plywood for the transom or renicell.

Dusky's are built tough and and last!

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy
TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Postby fishbuster » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:53 pm

Everything was built out of plywood. Ovbiously the transom had layers of plywood.
fishbuster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby TomW » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:03 pm

There is no problem in re-doing the sole and transom of this boat. Joel will guide you through the steps. But 1st go to some of the other sites that have done it and see how they have done there the work.

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy
TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Postby fishbuster » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:22 pm

Ya i was planning getting Meranti Marine BS6566 1/2" for the deck and 3/4" laminated together for the transom. I was also planning on checking the foam and possibly replacing it if if has any water in it and checking the stringers and bulkheads. i was planning on using 1708 biaxial with epoxy resin. but was seeing what ever one else things about it. also i believe the rotting, at least in the back, goes all the way to the transom wall and was wondering how yall would go about it? i was going to leave about 2" from the wall and cut it at a 45 degree angle so i can putty it up whenever i install the new floor. also forgot to mention it has a 200 hp outboard on a bracket
fishbuster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby TomW » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:09 am

Yea the Dusky Bracket is a standard for there boats from 19' up. So the transom has to be rebuilt to the standard that was there. Using fiberglass and epoxy will actually be an improvement over what was used, Polyester and fiberglass. Please use Meranti 1088 for the transom though. It has all the layers of the same wood through out while the other may or may not. I'm using 2 sheets of 3/4 on my boat and feel it is well worth it.

The first step will be to take the motor off the bracket. After that you can start working on the inside removing the sole and transom. Leave the outer skin of the transom so you have something to glue the new tranom to.

I know these hulls are built almost bullet proof if you can do the same for where the problems are in your rebuild it will last about forever.

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy
TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Postby Mad Dog » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:14 am

Does this boat use a liner and cap? If there is a liner and it is good condition, no big cracks, etc. then you may want consider pulling the liner and replacing the core from the under-side. That keeps the original look and reduces the filling and fairing.

Just a thought.

MD :wink:
Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Postby fishbuster » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:10 am

Mad Dog wrote:Does this boat use a liner and cap? If there is a liner and it is good condition, no big cracks, etc. then you may want consider pulling the liner and replacing the core from the under-side. That keeps the original look and reduces the filling and fairing.

Just a thought.

MD :wink:

this boat does have a liner and cap but the liner on the floor is cracked pretty bad. i started to rip up the floor today and found some pretty extensive damage. i guess someone before me replaced the floor already and did some nasty stuff like nailed the floor to the stringers, cut holes without sealing them, etc. but anyways looks like this project is getting better and better as it goes. also anymore suggestions is appreciated thanks
Randy
fishbuster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby shine » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi Randy,

Sorry I missed your thread. Pleas post the measurements we discussed over the phone so i can have a little lead time to write up a BOM for the glass and epoxy.

Joel
shine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fishbuster » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:36 pm

shine wrote:Hi Randy,

Sorry I missed your thread. Pleas post the measurements we discussed over the phone so i can have a little lead time to write up a BOM for the glass and epoxy.

Joel

first thanks for the help joel but here are the measurements.
Deck Width- 1/2"
Transom Width- 1 1/2"
Stringer Width- 1 1/2": 1 3/4 with the roven
Distance btw the stringer on the inside is 2' 10" (1' 5" from the center)
" " outside- 3' 2"
Distance from the stringers to the outside hull is 9"
Beam is 6' 6" on the inside and 7' 6" on the outside.
The Transom 3' 4" x 6' 6" in dimension not including the hull angle (height was measured from the center)
The Back deck is 7' 8" x 6' 6" total
The side of the console is 1" x 5' 10"
The Stringers are 1 3/4" x 8' long possibly longer.
Theres a section in the bow that i would like to fix and it measures 3' x 6'
Ill give you a call tomorrow and see if you recieved this
Randy
fishbuster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Next

Return to Boat Repair and Rebuild Support