• Sponsored By:

1987 Dusky 203 FAC rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.

Moderator: bateau-webmaster

1987 Dusky 203 FAC rebuild

Postby fishbuster » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:56 am

since going back to school and not working as much ive been tinkering the idea of redoing my boat as it had soft floors and i suspected wet/rotted transom. heres a picture of the boat before the demo Image
started off by derigging everything and taking off the ttop, motor, electronics, etc. Image
well after cutting out the floor found out that the stringers are rotted also. someone replaced the floor before and when they did instead of bedding the floor to the stringers with filler they decided to nail it to the stringers. Image Image
also found out that the foam next to the stringers were saturated with water with alot of standing water(approx 10 gals) didnt really take alot of pictures at this point. but so far up to this date taking off the bracket was a total P.I.A as dusky made sure that bracket wasnt coming off the transom they sealed it to the transom with filler. Image
finally got that off
and started to take the inside skin off the transom to find total destruction to it. here are some signs that told me that the transom was shot. water was pouring out the bracket hole and trim tab screws.
also Image
started to cut back the stringers so i can work on the transom skin and when i cut 12" off the stringer btw worm dirt, wet wood, delaminated fiberglass and standing water adds alot of weight to the boat. Image Image
when i started to cut the skin off here is what i found alot of wet wood. your hand would be wet when you touch it. Image
thats as far as i have gotten so far but im planning on taking out the factory "fishbox" and adding it up front on the console and taking out that step up on the console here Image
refoaming the sides with bulkheads, adding a bigger tank, removing the rear boxes, and redoing the wiring/switch panel. but ill update and try and take pictures of everything as i go.
Randy
fishbuster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Sponsored By:

Re: 1987 Dusky 203 FAC rebuild

Postby peter-curacao » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:35 am

fishbuster wrote:finally got that off
and started to take the inside skin off the transom to find total destruction to it. here are some signs that told me that the transom was shot. water was pouring out the bracket hole and trim tab screws.

So after all it was a bolt on on bracket ?
Arrived at finish line, WOW what a rush!
An Insider's Guide to Curacao
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Postby fishbuster » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:10 am

ya i knew the bracket was bolted on but dusky used a filler and the bolts were encapsulated in it. even beating on it with a 3 lb hammer i was only about to get 2 or 3 of them out due to lack of room or just wouldnt budge. once i got the filler to break away from the bracket i was able to wiggle it off with a pry bar, chisel, and man power. but it definitely was a bear to get off.
fishbuster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby fishbuster » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:32 pm

Havent made alot of headway on the boat lately as work, school, and hunting season starting here and in michigan been really busy.
But went over to coreys house for redneck tutorial 101 to
try and get the cap off the boat. dont have pictures of it but using tree branches, a come-along, hammer and chisel helped. anyways went back to the house to cut it up in two sections so itll be easier for me to handle(doing this project by myself). i installed some braces so the hull doesnt oil can on my
When i took off the cap i noticed someone glassed in a full transom and added a bracket and some crappy work. Both cracks were on both sides of the hull
then took of the second 3/4" plywood and not too suprised on what i found Image Image
Also when i took off the core i found this on the skin of the transom
Starboard
Port
But to make things more interesting found alot of unwet glass on the skin Image Image
But thats all for now tomorrow ill bring out the grinder and start sanding off some of the excess wood, unwet fiberglass and try and start on the transom.
Randy
fishbuster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby fishbuster » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:07 am

also need some advice on would would yall do. when i removed the core from the side wall to the outer hull there is about a 1/4" gap would yall just cut your new core to fill in the 1/4" or fill it in with fiberglass/filler? heres a picture for reference.Image
fishbuster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby fishbuster » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:35 pm

Well at this point its taking awhile to get all the grinding done on the boat as i had to take out alot of fiberglass on the transom due to delamination. also started to work on the outside transom skin to fix the crack
Found this
I just have to sand a bevel into the crack and start fiberglassing it to the hull to make it stronger so this crack wont come back. also fiberglass 2 layers of 1708 to the inside skin to strengthn that up more.
Also started on the cap as i knew some of the wood was rotten/saturated. started off with this Image
Found some rotten/wet wood
Started to finish sanding the excess wood/fiberglass off the cap but didnt get a picture as it was getting dark, but when the weather is looking good ill start to fiber glass. but looks like i might as well take my time as theres not point on going out bottom fishing now :1bang
Randy
fishbuster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby Mad Dog » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:34 pm

fishbuster wrote:Image
Found this

Looks like this boat originally had a cut out transom that was closed off and bracket added. What does this look like from the inside? Did they build up the inside of the outer skin to give strength to the patch? If not I would add a couple layers of 1700 biax to the inside before I put the transom core back in. You may want to feather 4" on either side of the seam on the outside and add a layer of biax tape for good measure and then fair the repair to match the rest of the outer skin. That's what I had to do on my rebuild when I closed in the transom.

MD :wink:
Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Postby fishbuster » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:01 pm

Mad Dog wrote:Looks like this boat originally had a cut out transom that was closed off and bracket added. What does this look like from the inside? Did they build up the inside of the outer skin to give strength to the patch? If not I would add a couple layers of 1700 biax to the inside before I put the transom core back in. You may want to feather 4" on either side of the seam on the outside and add a layer of biax tape for good measure and then fair the repair to match the rest of the outer skin. That's what I had to do on my rebuild when I closed in the transom.

MD :wink:

ya i believe that is what it was originally. they "built" it up inside but its delaminated. ive feathered it out 3 in so far and am planning on throwing 2 layers of 1708 with some filler on the outside then do the same for the inside to build up thickness along with the whole skin.
fishbuster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby fishbuster » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:41 pm

also need some of yalls opinions on this. I am removing the two rear boxes in the boat to free it up and plus i never liked them as they got in the way. heres a picture of what im talking about
So i was wondering what i can put in its place so i can still run all my rigging for the motor and thru-hulls that still likes appealing towards the eyes and not out of place. i was thinking something along the lines of these in the corner of the boat
fishbuster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby fishbuster » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:17 pm

Picked up some supplies from one of the suppliers we use for work, and started to fiberglass that back crack. Put down a layer of 1.5 oz mat followed by 3 layers of 1708 and finished off with a layer of 1.5 oz mat. Added alittle too much catalyst and started to set up on me and had a few bubbles in the last layer of mat heres the damage.
Sometime this week before i leave ill grind this work and start fiberglassing the inside of the skin for the transom and start putting in the core.
Randy
fishbuster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Next

Return to Boat Repair and Rebuild Support