• Sponsored By:

Stevenson Weekender Sailboat

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.

Moderator: bateau-webmaster

Stevenson Weekender Sailboat

Postby JamesT » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:18 am

Im headed out to look at one of these this mornings and was just curious if any of you "old salts" had an opinion on these boats.

The one i am looking at comes with mast, sails everything, including the trailer for less than $500..wish i had some pictures to post. The seller is telling me that all of the wood is solid, just that the paint is peeling off of it very badly. im thinking, epoxy, fiberglass, primer and paint, plus fix anything that needs it. I just dont have any experience with sailboats. I figure if it gets to be really bad i can always sell the trailer, mast, sails and get my money back....Any of you guys have any thoughts on the design, construction of one of these boats?

thanks
Dont outsmart your common sense!
JamesT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Sponsored By:

Re: Stevenson Weekender Sailboat

Postby jacquesmm » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:43 am

I rarely say that a design is very bad but this one is.
It is sad that so many waste good materials and energy in a boat that is not going to sail properly and can even be dangerous.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PAR » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:35 pm

Jacques is being overly polite about the Stevenson designs. I've modified quite a few now and they need help in virtually every category you can think of.
PAR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby JamesT » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Well, i went and looked at it, and structurally its in great shape, cosmetically not so good. i bought it, think it was too cheap to pass up.

One thing i noticed is that it didnt have a centerboard(?), but looks like it was designed with about a 10" skeg that runs the length of the boat. I appreciate your comments and your knowledge, but for my situation i think it will do, this boat will only be used here on our local lake, mainly to just float around grab some sun and drink a few cold ones...hell at this point ive never been on a sailboat :D

Par, you talk about modifications, what have you done?

I know you guys dont like the design, but hopefully will be willing to give some advice when it comes to making some of the cosmetic repairs. Have a great weekend, very nice here in north tx...only 98 degrees and getting hotter by the hour.. :help:
JamesT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby PAR » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:24 pm

There is a discussion forum at http://www.byyb.org ( http://byyb.org/forum/ )specifically geared towards these boats. There you will find every variation imaginable of the Stevenson crowd. You'd be well advised to avail yourself of that site's forum.
PAR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby JamesT » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:19 pm

First off, i'd like to say that this rebuild is stricly for me to try and improve my wood working / boat building skills. Not looking for any input on the design of the boat...i do know this site and JM offers some of the best designs i've seen. I have built the FL12 and fully intend on building another of JM's designs as soon as this one is done. I have purchased and will purchase all of my supplies from BBC, i think their service and this website is phenomenal!

So here we go. I bought a few gallons of epoxy, some fiberglass tape, roll of fiberglass and some of the purple stuff to mix for filling the weave (the name escapes me), this is just to get me started.

My son and i got the boat off of the trailer by hooking the stern to a fence post and basically slowly pulling the trailer out from underneath it, that got a lot of laughs from SWMBO, but worked out great in the end. Got it upside down and on the cradle and started stripping the paint and body filler off of it. I am pretty sure this thing was made with polyester resin, because the fiberglass tape over the seams just peels right up with a tug.

Also notice the polyester body filler (bondo) used for fairing the seems.

Since these were taken, ive gotten one side completely stripped and am working on the other.

First question===im trying to decide whether to paint or graphite the bottom, i know the graphite should last longer, you'd think it may be a little cheaper to do this too, because you dont have to primer and paint?
JamesT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby Cracker Larry » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:52 pm

Graphite and epoxy is MUCH cheaper than good paint and primer. Tougher too, as long as you like black :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, under construction GF18
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Postby JamesT » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:16 pm

black is cool....at least its on the bottom anyway...

So after i get everything glassed in on the bottom, epoxy/graphite mix to fill the weave? or use my epoxy / fairing blend, then graphite over that?

I may run the graphite a couple inches up the sides. Any of you guys have any problem with it drawing heat (breaking down the epoxy) while its sitting on the trailer, or the glass trying to bleed back thru. Seems i read that some of the darker colors of paint may do this? im in north tx and it do get a little hot here. :D
JamesT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby Laszlo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:50 pm

Fill the weave with epoxy/microballoon mix, then add the graphite/epoxy layer. It's cheaper and lighter that way.

No problem with black overheating in central MD, TX not sure what will happen.

Laszlo
Laszlo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Postby JamesT » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:50 pm

Just a couple of pictures....almost ready to start slinging some epoxy!

JamesT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Next

Return to Boat Repair and Rebuild Support