PH18 Build in North Dallas

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas

Post by flyfishingmonk » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:01 pm

Jeff wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:44 am
Beautiful work!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff!

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:11 pm

Dang I wish I had the wood working skills that some of you guys do. As Jeff said beautiful work.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:46 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:11 pm
Dang I wish I had the wood working skills that some of you guys do. As Jeff said beautiful work.
Thanks Fuzz! I'm sure you can do this kind of work, it just takes patience. :D
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:24 am

I made a lot of progress this weekend on the rod holders. The base plates are done, and the hooks are almost done. I still have some routing to do for the cove and edges, and one more hole to drill into each one. I then need to turn 5 dowels. Other than that they are ready to have the face plates glued to the hooks, and then after the sole is in they can be glued to the inside of the hull.

I may spot glue them into place with hot glue to get the measurements for the holes and PVC tubes for bulkhead B, and the hooks for bulkhead C. Then I can pop them back, peel off the glue, off and proceed from there. The kids have some low heat hot glue sticks and a little gun that would work perfect.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:59 am

Well Done my Friend! Those are awesome!

BB Sig
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:19 am

WOW! Great work!

What kind of drill press are you using and why did you choose it? I like power tools and I have to start building my inventory slowly but with the right ones. I only like to buy them once if I can help it. :lol:

cvincent
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cvincent » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:25 am

Excellent craftsmanship Casey! You phantom will be one of a kind.
Completed D15, Building PH18

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:06 am

Eric1 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:59 am
Well Done my Friend! Those are awesome!
Thanks Eric!
cvincent wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:25 am
Thanks! Let's hope it floats. =)

willg
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by willg » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:28 am

cvincent wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:25 am
I agree completely. Your creativity and craftsmanship are very impressive. I really enjoy your updates.

And I bet it floats, too ...

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:30 am

BB Sig wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:19 am
WOW! Great work!

What kind of drill press are you using and why did you choose it? I like power tools and I have to start building my inventory slowly but with the right ones. I only like to buy them once if I can help it. :lol:
Hi BB,

If you are building a shop, the two power tools that could basically build a whole boat are the hand drill and the jig saw. I kid you not. Almost 95% of the work is with these two tools or can be achieved by these two tools and a long t-square. Everything else just helps with the other 5%. These two you probably already have. Every year or so for the last 15 years I have tried to get one nice tool, either a large power tool or a nice hand tool. Only the bandsaw was a used tool.

As for the drill press, I have a Delta. I picked it up at Lowes along with a Delta jointer, after working them down to $350 for the pair. I figure the deal was worth about $700+ as they were both floor models. I then sold the jointer since I really don't use one and almost covered my cost. So it was just about free. Maybe some day if I build cabinets or something I will pick up another jointer.

Here are a few brands I like, and in the order I like them. Maybe the list is helpful if you are looking for additional tools.

For large power tools: Powermatic (table saw), Robert Sorby (lathe), JessEm (router table w/Portercable 3.25), Jet (bandsaw), Delta (drill press), Delta (vac system). I picked up a slide for my table saw that is made by JessEm but I really don't have room in the garage to install it. It was such a good deal I could not pass it up. Hopefully when we move again I will have room for the slide.

I saw the vac system in your shed. It's perfect for the job! I have a similar Ridgid, but older. Those are perfect for boat building.

Most of the fine cutting tools are Bosch, and the more rough stuff is the Ridgid (drills, sawzall). Some Porter-Cable, I recently picked up a Makita hand planer for working on the boat, because it had really good reviews. I like reviews, and I try to avoid making a decision off of just the best deal. I also like Milwaukee but don't own any. I have had a few Hilit's in the past they are amazing (hammer drill, hand drill, lasers).

For power hand tools, I own Bosch, Porter Cable, Ridgid, Dewalt and a few more that I can't recall. I got rid of most of my old Dewalt, because it just gave up the ghost. Mostly battery powered tools. I imagine the newer generation of Dewalt are great.

Some brands really excel in one area (i.e. Dewalt with miter saws) and others in another (Porter-Cable 3.25 fixed base router motor). So try to avoid brand allegiance, but select the best tool for the job. Even consider Harbor Freight if it is a tool you will only use maybe 3 times in your life, or if you know the task will destroy the tool.

Hope this helps!

Casey
Last edited by flyfishingmonk on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.