PH18 Build in North Dallas

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
User avatar
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2008
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:06 am
Location: Dallas, Texas
Location: Dallas, Texas
Contact:

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas

Post by flyfishingmonk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:36 am

willg wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:28 am
cvincent wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:25 am
Excellent craftsmanship Casey! You phantom will be one of a kind.
I agree completely. Your creativity and craftsmanship are very impressive. I really enjoy your updates.

And I bet it floats, too ...
Thanks Will. Encouraging words help a person press onward!


Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

User avatar
BB Sig
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:20 am
Location: Monticello, FL
Contact:

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas

Post by BB Sig » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Thanks for the advice! 8O I wasn't expecting that amount of advice...

I've already got a lot of good powered handtools (drills/planer/sawzall/jigsaw/biscuit joiner...) a used Rigid Planer and a 12" Rigid miter saw ($100) on off demo. I recently (last year) bought a Grizzly G0175P. This was sort of a compromise as I bought a hybrid but made sure it was 220v capable. I am not a professional but knew I didn't want a contractor saw.

I am looking more towards the other larger equipment such as a floor standing drill press. It takes up more room but I hate buying something that is limiting when I need it. All the compromises I have made "for the time being" have been permanent ones because "they mostly work." I would rather make do without until I can get the right tool for the long haul. Buy right and buy once is my goal but sometimes I just can't wait. :lol:

User avatar
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2008
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:06 am
Location: Dallas, Texas
Location: Dallas, Texas
Contact:

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas

Post by flyfishingmonk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:08 pm

BB Sig wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:40 pm
Thanks for the advice! 8O I wasn't expecting that amount of advice...

I've already got a lot of good powered handtools (drills/planer/sawzall/jigsaw/biscuit joiner...) a used Rigid Planer and a 12" Rigid miter saw ($100) on off demo. I recently (last year) bought a Grizzly G0175P. This was sort of a compromise as I bought a hybrid but made sure it was 220v capable. I am not a professional but knew I didn't want a contractor saw.

I am looking more towards the other larger equipment such as a floor standing drill press. It takes up more room but I hate buying something that is limiting when I need it. All the compromises I have made "for the time being" have been permanent ones because "they mostly work." I would rather make do without until I can get the right tool for the long haul. Buy right and buy once is my goal but sometimes I just can't wait. :lol:
I like it! I figured the long response may also help other readers.

I used to have the drill press in the corner, and it fits well there since they are tall and not wide or deep. On larger pieces of wood I was drilling a hole in I would walk the machine out a foot or so. Worked well.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

User avatar
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2008
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:06 am
Location: Dallas, Texas
Location: Dallas, Texas
Contact:

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas

Post by flyfishingmonk » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:51 pm

Doing a little brainstorming on the cockpit drain. =)

Image

Image
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 867
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:57 pm
Location: Bryson City, NC

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas

Post by TomW1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Casey as always your work is impeccable, you will have the best looking PH18 ever built on here. That drain looks awesome. As a hint since it is plastic both Krylon and Rust-Oleum have primers for plastic that allow you to paint over them with another paint. Rust-Oleum Automotive Plastic primer would probably work well with our boat paints, but as with any new process I would test it first.
Restored Mirror Dingy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Desghn courses.

User avatar
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2008
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:06 am
Location: Dallas, Texas
Location: Dallas, Texas
Contact:

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas

Post by flyfishingmonk » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:44 pm

TomW1 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:24 pm
Casey as always your work is impeccable, you will have the best looking PH18 ever built on here. That drain looks awesome. As a hint since it is plastic both Krylon and Rust-Oleum have primers for plastic that allow you to paint over them with another paint. Rust-Oleum Automotive Plastic primer would probably work well with our boat paints, but as with any new process I would test it first.
Thank you for the compliment! I will have to check out this plastic primer. I had never even considered a primer for plastic. Makes sense!

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

willg
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:54 pm
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas

Post by willg » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Casey, that drain would definitely allow a lot of water to pass but do you think you need that capacity? And it might never happen but I'd also worry about something important slipping through those slots. Just a thought...

User avatar
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2008
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:06 am
Location: Dallas, Texas
Location: Dallas, Texas
Contact:

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas

Post by flyfishingmonk » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:01 pm

willg wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:54 pm
Casey, that drain would definitely allow a lot of water to pass but do you think you need that capacity? And it might never happen but I'd also worry about something important slipping through those slots. Just a thought...
Maybe so, like a favorite hand tied fly or something! I am thinking of cutting it just shy of 24 inches, and having it rest between the two center stringers. The drain cover would come off pretty easily, being held down with just a few screws. Under that I am planning to have a simple tray that collects the water, with a 1.5" drain fitting in the center to chase the water toward the bilge.

At least that is as far out as my brainstorming has gone.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

willg
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:54 pm
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas

Post by willg » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:50 pm

OK, I understand those plans. As always, you've been thinking!

User avatar
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2008
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:06 am
Location: Dallas, Texas
Location: Dallas, Texas
Contact:

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas

Post by flyfishingmonk » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:53 am

willg wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:50 pm
OK, I understand those plans. As always, you've been thinking!
Thanks! Hopefully this idea will work, and will look cool as well.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], OneWayTraffic and 1 guest