Mikem59 FS18 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mikem59 FS18 Build

Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:04 am

Mikem59, really nice and clean work!! Jeff

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:29 pm

Thanks Jeff and Will. I had a chance to see how the seam taping looked yesterday evening and I finally pleased myself. All the FB cloth had wetted out nicely, not on sloppy, and I feel like I didn't get too carried away on how much resin I used to wet it ou this time.

Working on finishing up the storages compartment between frame E and Ea as well as the mods I need to make to accommodate the hatch. And, started reviewing everyone's different takes on the rod holders and rod tubes. I want to run my tubes forward into the bow.

Lots to think about!

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:46 pm

Continuing to press on. It's been brutal working when I have time as it's been during the heat of the day. As many of you know, Texas Gulf Coast heat and humidity is miserable. Nonetheless, making progress.

Used what was left of the foam to fill the void that will be beneath the decking between frame E and Ea. Didn't fill it all the way to the top, but not a problem as this won't be a heavy load bearing area, it will be a storage compartment.

Glued down the decking between frames B&C. This compartment will contain a Moeller 12 gal fuel tank. Haven't yet decided on how I'll set up access from the deck. Considering a T-H Marine 11/15 hatch but may be too large.

I decided to lay down some 12 oz cloth on the main deck. Went pretty well. I'm getting better at wetting out the fiberglass with regard to not using too much. The photo doesn't show it, but did have a few air bubbles. Image

Image showing the fit for the donated hatch on the transom deck.

More to come soon!

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:04 pm

Looks good! Nice progress. 8)
Hank

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:31 pm

I agree, looks really good!!!! Jeff

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:16 pm

Thanks guys. Appreciate the kudos.

Next steps will be to finish the storage compartment. I made a little mistake when I glued in the cleats to support the decking for the gap between E and Ea. I glued the cleats level with the already covered compartments between the stringer and the hull. Caught it in time to fix 2 out of 4 cleats before the glue had cured. One of the other cleats I completely removed and re glued. The removal of that one cleat wasn't a pretty process, but it got done. The initial effort was an attempt had using a router to remove the needed amount of depth. But, the router collet became loose and before I could respond to that issue, removed too much wood and it also threw the router bit. Thankfully, that didn't result in any injury. Regardless, wearing eye protection and gloves for just such possibilities. Hopefully I won't need Kevlar armor. :lol:

However, the cleat glued to the aft side of frame E is still attached. Trying to determine a better path forward such using a simple wood plane to do the work of getting it to the proper height. It's just a tight space to work in. :doh:

Also began trying to determine just how the gunwales will fit. Before I start asking too many questions, I need to do a good mock up and take some pics to see what I'm dealing with there.

I know I can count on the forum to bring me to the finish line, thanks for all the help :!: :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:48 am

Glad there was no injury! Your boat is looking good Mike!!

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Walkers Run » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:04 am

I just got caught up on your build. Looks great! You'll be glade you put the 12 oz glass on the sole.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:07 am

Looking real good Mike! I've learned to be very cautious with routers too. Those things can hurt you! So can band saws :help:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:49 pm

Making some more progress. Have made cleats for the transom decking as well as testing the fit of the gunwales, transom deck, and bow. Have some fit issues, but nothing that can't be overcome. I've also made rod holders and tack welded three of them in with a glue gun. The fourth, for whatever reason didn't fit right :doh: , any effort to trim to get proper fit and get the gunwale to sit level would have ruined it, so totally scrapped it and cut out a new one. I made my rod holders by sandwiching 2 pieces of the 3/8" marine plywood.

I'll post pics as soon as I figure out why I can't get the photos I uploaded to my gallery to rotate.

Still a long ways to go, and I need more supplies. My guess is I'll come up just short on having enough biax tape and I'll need more resin to be sure I have enough to tape the rod holders, gunwales, and to make fairing slurry.

And, I've made a paint decision, going with the Vashon Gray on the hull exterior and Bainbridge White on the interior. I'll have figure out just how/where I'll apply the Kiwi grip as well.

I also have to buy a few more hatches, one for the bow to access the fuel tank compartment, a door/hatch for the console, and deck access plate to access the compartment formed by frame A in the bow.

And, I'm fitting the pieces together for my console as well.

Sorry kind of rambled here, but wanted to provide a partial update. Hope to get the pictures fixed in the gallery to then upload here.