Mikem59 FS18 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dutch1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Mikem59 FS18 Build

Post by Dutch1 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:57 pm

Mikem59 wrote: And, Dutch, yes I do plan to install a poling platform as well but will splash'er first and see how she does, how she responds to standing on the back of the boat, and then decide just how I want to install the platform. As for up on the bow, probably just stand on a cooler.
That's what I was thinking too. Go ahead and get a feel for how she will shift around with my 270lbs on her. I'm going to build up (under the deck) where I plan to bolt the platform down though.

K2FS18
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by K2FS18 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:37 pm

Mike, any m,ore info on your trailer? I had aluminum trailers priced out in Sea Drift and POC. About 3k for torsion axles, dry lunch and welded. Looking for better deal or I will make this as well. Found parts on web, would be a bolt together.

K2

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:41 pm

K2,

No, I haven't made a decision on a trailer just yet. I'm going to try to make it over to the Houston Boat Show to see if anyone there is making any deals. $3k seems high. McLain quoted $1850 but I don't remember if that was with a torsion spring axle or regular leaf springs.

I did look at a used trailer, but it was 20+ years old and a little wider than I needed. Felt like all I would have done is bought a $400 headache.

I also need to get an official quote from Long's in Beaumont.

In the meantime, making progress on the build, going to put on a 4th and final coat of paint tomorrow. Would have stopped at 3 but had some runs that were too visible.

Although the last coat had some runs, this paint does look good though, very pleased.

Mike

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:40 pm

Long overdue for an update. Managing just a couple of hours after work 2 - 3 days a week. Progress is slow, but it all is coming together.

First photo is of the wire chase in the cockpit where I had planned to install my console. But after mocking up my console and setting it in the cockpit to see about fit and room, I decided not to do the console.

So, now you see it now you don't. Plugged, sealed, glassed over, faired, and primed. I'm glad I opted to forego the console, I like to have the room and a nice clean look inside, no clutter.

Dry fitted the jack plate, and engine, the trim tabs are installed just don't have the piston connected, don't need a meat slicer on the back while I'm working on her still. :lol:

Fuel tank is in along with termination points for the rod tubes.

Dry fit the switch panel, jack plate switch, and trim tab switch panel. The Trim tab switch panel will be a little higher than it shows in the pic to center up more with the main switch panel.

And, here's a pic of the first coat of Kiwi Grip in the cockpit area. I bought the white and had tinted to the Sherwin Williams Olympus White. I didn't want the pure, bright white, wanted something easy on the eyes and hopefully won't show the blood and guts as much. I also feel it's a good contract to the platinum color of the hull. I'll add that the Kiwi grip application is different due to it's thickness. Don't know if there is an expectation for it to cover in just one coat. I applied with a paint brush then used the supplied "Loopy Goopy" roller to get the texture. I think I laid it on too thin, requiring me to apply a decent amount of pressure to get the texture and not see the brush stroke marks. Nonetheless, I am pleased with the nonskid texture I got with the first coat. The second coat went on nicely and covered well. I'll get pics posted soon.

I dont' have the pics as yet, but I've installed cleats at the bow section and between A and B frames (above the fuel tank). Since I'm not doing a console, I had a hatch door for it that will now be used as an access hatch for the bow. I've also installed the nav lights, just using the small led's amazingly bright. Have pulled the fuel hose through it's chase as well as the nav lights wire and the fuel sending unit wires. Installed a battery tray in the transom section port side. Have a Perko switch, negative and positive buss bars, and inline fuse as well as the wire ready for install. Once I get all the electrical sorted out and installed, the decking and gunwales will go down to button 'er up. So close.

And, will order a boat trailer soon as well as contact TPWD to inspect and allow me to get it registered.

Dutch1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dutch1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:40 pm

Great progress Mike. I'm interested to hear how the zuke pushes her. I've heard great things about those. What size did you go with? And, why did you decide not to have a console? Time? I'm trying to decide if I want to do anything for a console too. I look forward to your .02.

Steve

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:55 pm

Dutch,

I went with the 20 hp Suzuki. Considered the 25 hp, but a bigger powerhead added more weight. Given I wanted the jack plate and trim tabs, I wanted to go with the lighter motor. And, at time I purchased, the 20 hp suzuki was the lightest 4 stroke out there and I've had better luck with suzuki in the past than with another manufacturer.

As for the console I had planned, it was going to be 16" wide. I literally had all the panels cut out and stitched together, that's how I knew exactly what I was working with as I placed it in the cockpit for the mock up. I should have taken a picture. The console along with a cooler in front to sit on, in my opinion, was just going to take up more space than I was willing to give up. And, I didn't like the amount of walking space between the console and the gunwale. Don't get me wrong, there was room to do so, I was just uncomfortable for my sake as well as whoever may be along for the ride. I'm not a big guy, but I'm not a spring chicken either, so I'm not going to rely on ageless balance and dexterity to maneuver around it. :lol: I will add that I believe Shamrock's build has a pic of his console, or maybe he posted it in a reply in my build. My console was going to be very similar.

Hope that helps.

Dutch1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dutch1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:07 pm

Mike,
Thanks for taking a few minutes to reply. That definitely helps.

Steve

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:23 pm

One of the best decisions I made when finishing my FS18 was ruling out the small console I had mocked up. It didn't look bad, could be somewhat functional for storage, and mounting a GPS etc. but as a pure flats fishing machine, the open cockpit works so well I would never change it. That being said, I do not usually stand while driving the boat, opting instead to sit very comfortably on my poling platform, which is at a comfortable 27" off the deck. If I stand, I rest my butt on the platform and it's extremely stable. For a boat like this, a cooler that can be moved around as a seat, and to adjust weight as needed works best. Mike

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Mike - thanks for helping me feel even better about my decision to forego the console. Now that I had made that decision, I've thought about some of the other things I've done with this build that, well, I don't regret, but were probably unnecessary, such as a 12-gallon permanent fuel tank as opposed to just sticking with a simpler design. But hey, those decisions have been made and that work is done.

I promised a pic of the bow section with the cleats I've added. The additions between Frames A and B are the ones running parallel to the frames tying cleats to the hull cleat and the long cleat running between A and B on both the port and starboard sides. I also added cleats running down the center between a new fore cleat and the existing aft cleat. I added these cleats as I had the bow section laying on the initial cleats I had installed and it felt like it lacked some support. May not have needed once I install the hatch that will reside behind frame B and the mid cleat. I hope you all understand all that, I wrote it and I don't think I have a clue what I just said. :doh: :lol:

As for the bow section, I added cleats there as I decided I didn't want to waste or send back the hatch I had purchased for the console I had foregone. Luckily, that hatch will be a perfect fit and will be a lot better than the 8" round screw in hatch I was originally planning.

In addition to the above, tonight I went along the rub rail and, with a small batch of resin and wood flour filled in some minor gaps where the glue had not completely filled when I installed the rub rails originally. I am not exactly sure what I'm going to do about the tops of the rub rails to finish them out. Can't decide if I will just extend the fiberglass up and over when I install the gunwales, or just fair the tops, prime and paint. I am concerned that if I glass over the tops I'll need to do something with the interior edge of the rub rails. Right now, they are squared off, but may need to round off with a router. Unless someone has some immediate thoughts, I'll peruse the forum for some ideas from other builds, I pretty sure I've seen something on this before.

Thanks all,
Mike

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 pm

:help: Looking for some help/guidance on how to finish the rub rails. Do you round off the interior hull edge to then enable the cloth go over the top of the rub rail? Or, just take the cloth up what little interior hull there is to cover and just epoxy, fair, and paint the top of the rub rail?

As for next steps, the gunwales are not a perfect fit, gonna have to scab in some pieces to fill a gaps that are pronounced the first few feet for and then again aft.

Made some progress with the electrical. Have installed a Perko battery switch, a positive bus and a negative bus, and run and connected the wires for the Atlas Micro Jacker and the trim tabs.

Mike