willg's PH18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
willg
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: willg's PH18

Post by willg » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:22 pm

This is the catch for the slam latch. I made the part for the screws out of ezfillet so I wouldn't have to overdrill, fill and redrill through wood. A little bit wasteful of ezfillet but I think it saved some hassle.

With the latch in place I could adjust the catch position so it grabs just right.

willg
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by willg » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:50 pm

I have installed some waterproof RGB LED strip lighting underneath the gunnels and I think it turned out well. The basic unit was only $20, I hope it lasts a while and doesn't disappoint. Via a remote control the lights can shine red, green, blue, white or any combo of these colors, and it's dimmable too. I got it and extension cable/splitters from amazon. It's all surprisingly inexpensive. This is the basic unit:

StripSun LED Strip Lights SMD 5050 Waterproof 16.4ft 5M 300leds RGB Color Changing Flexible LED Rope Lights with 44Key Remote +12V 5A Power Supply +IR Control Box

The strip applied to the underside of the gunnel.
Pictures are lousy, and there's a lot of debris inside the boat, but here are white, red and blue.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:24 pm

Very cool!
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Sweet 8)

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:22 pm

Looks great!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:27 pm

Your goING to love the red when night fishing.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

willg
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by willg » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:57 pm

Oops, here's the actual red...

Dustinwg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dustinwg » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:30 pm

Will,

What type of LED lights did you install under your gunnels? Do they run the entire length? Wanting to do the same, but so many options have my head spinning...

Boat looks great! Looks like you're almost there!

willg
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by willg » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:21 am

Dustin, try this link:

http://www.amazon.com/StripSun-Waterpro ... entries*=0

It's a 12V system and comes with an AC adapter for power from the wall. I just cut the power cord and wired it to a console switch. The 16' length has wires and 4-pin connectors on each end so I cut it in half to get 8' lengths which run the length of the cockpit. The cut ends were sealed with liquid tape. I got some 4-wire RGB cable from amazon and made a run from the control module in the console to a forward hatch, then split the wire to go to the front on either side of the cockpit where it gets connected to the led strips. I made all connections with crimp connectors. There are available some easy-to-use 4-pin connectors but I didn't trust them to stay connected on a boat. The system is billed as waterproof. It's so inexpensive I'm a bit leary about it lasting - will see.

willg
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by willg » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:40 pm

I got all the decks glued down, the edges eased and the fiberglass cut and ready. I'm using 10 oz woven. Here are some pics with the decks ready and with a coat of neat epoxy. I think this is the cleanest my boat has been since I brought the plywood home. I hope to glass tomorrow. Feels good to get those decks down!

Merry Christmas everybody!!