ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by glossieblack » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:25 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:54 pm
Did you have a systems layout anywhere? I'm curious to see the evolution as better options presented themselves.
I'm not that sophisticated. I'm just muddling through!

It's only recently that I've understood the specific air cooling challenge for this installation. Normally this electric motor would run at around 3000 rpm, with its own built-in cooling fan doing an adequate job. But because for this application the motor is being programmed to run at about 1000 rpm maximum, with full torque (and hence heat generation) being achieved by then, the motor's slowly rotating fan will need assistance by having cool air force feed into it by another fan.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:17 am

Enjoyable afternoon's work starting the diesel engine installation. :D

In an attempt to fend of Murphy, I'm going to test fit all of the diesel drive train subsystem and all the electric drive train subsystem, then check the integrated system, before permanently installing anything.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:27 am

Looks real good sitting there :!: And it looks like there is room to work on things when the time comes. That is a big one to me.

icelikkilinc
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by icelikkilinc » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:18 am

Do you have service access to oil sump?
Probably you will put a pump for oil but it would be good to have access to sump plug..
Ilker

TW28 launch: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23369

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:50 am

glossieblack wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:17 am
In an attempt to fend of Murphy, I'm going to test fit all of the diesel drive train subsystem and all the electric drive train subsystem, then check the integrated system, before permanently installing anything.
Chicken ;)

I think you mentioned this before, but are there other hybrids like this on the waters where you are? Similar drivetrain setups?

BB Sig
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:58 am

Your build is one that I come to first when I get to the forum. WOW! That is one purdy engine! :D Thanks for sharing your work of art. We are all looking forward to seeing it launched!

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:27 am
Looks real good sitting there :!: And it looks like there is room to work on things when the time comes. That is a big one to me.
The bottom of the aft face of the engine box will be hinged to the sole, so the box will swing up out of the way, giving servicing access as per the photo.
icelikkilinc wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:18 am
Do you have service access to oil sump? Probably you will put a pump for oil but it would be good to have access to sump plug.
Yes, there will be access to the sump plug if the sump needs to be completely drained.
Jaysen wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:50 am
Are there other hybrids like this on the waters where you are? Similar drivetrain setups?
None that I'm aware off. I wish there were, as I'm very much having to feel my way. I can't even find similar hybrid drive train setups documented on the net. I can find plenty of concept discussions, but no actual builds. I've got no doubt they are out there though. Have you run across any actual builds on the net?
BB Sig wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:58 am
WOW! That is one purdy engine!
It was nice walking into the shed this morning and seeing it in the boat rather than on the ground. :D

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 pm

glossieblack wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:50 pm
Have you run across any actual builds on the net?
Only full electrics. I'm looking to take a different approach to hybrid; all electric drive train with 1 cylinder diesel generator. That let's me use renewables for most charging but gives me range and backup when needed. Li-Po banks in the 30kw range and outfit with LED and leverage low power navionics (may make some of them).

That's the plan anyway.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:58 pm

glossieblack wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:50 pm

[Jaysen] Have you run across any actual [hybrid diesel-electric] builds on the net?
Jaysen wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 pm
Only full electrics.
Hmmm. Strange as it may seem, perhaps this is the first DIY diesel-electric hybrid build documented on the net. :o

bateau-webmaster
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bateau-webmaster » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:18 am

Next step brew biodiesel!
Jamie Fisk
Order Desk, Webmaster
Boat Builder Central, Bateau