ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by glossieblack » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:04 am

bateau-webmaster wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:18 am
Next step brew biodiesel!
A friend who's a dentist (hence bored) brews biodiesel from cooking oil he collects from restaurants The benefit-cost is a little suspect, but at least it gets him away from a savage wife.

For recreation, I think I'll stick to sailing and boatbuilding. :wink:

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

bateau-webmaster
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bateau-webmaster » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:50 am

good point seems like a boring hobby anyway.
Jamie Fisk
Order Desk, Webmaster
Boat Builder Central, Bateau

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:37 am

making bio-deisel is a waste (for now) as the commodity supplies needed (methanol and lye) are not readily available. That and oil is technically a controlled "waste hazard" in the US and requires permits to legally acquire and transport. Ask me how I know...

The sweet spot is to "dual tank" the motor... start up on pump fuel then switch to straight veg/waste oil once the motor is warm. All you need for this to work is good filtration post acquisition and pre injection. My only fear is that using waste oil (not veg) would add excessive pollutants to the environment.

By my calculations, 15gal veg and 2.5gal pump with wind/solar supplement should give an electric/diesel sail boat transat capabilities with fuel to spare. If I every get to a VG26+ we will see how it works out :)

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:14 pm

Had friend burning oil in his diesel Mercedes. Smelled like french fries going down the road.

Michael the boat is really coming along nicely. Agree 100% with test fitting everything first, especially when you are leading the way for others...

But I caught you!
It was nice walking into the shed this morning and seeing it in the boat rather than on the ground. :D
I knew you had help! 8) 8) 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:34 pm

cape man wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:14 pm

But I caught you!
It was nice walking into the shed this morning and seeing it in the boat rather than on the ground. :D
I knew you had help! 8) 8) 8)
A solo operation dear Cape Man, a solo operation. :D

The boat's cradle is on wheels. So I rolled the boat to one side of the shed. Then using block and tackles hanging from the roof on the other side of the shed, I raised the engine from the floor above gunwale level. Then I rolled the boat under the engine, which I then lowered it onto the engine beds. Easy as. :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:52 pm

How big is the shop?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:54 am

Jaysen wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:52 pm
How big is the shop?
The shed is 33' long and 22' wide.

The boat is 6' wide, and I used about 11' of shed width to install the engine. Could do it in a 10' wide shed at a squeeze.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:54 am

I've really enjoyed watching this build come together. You are doing a great job and I'm learning some things along the way.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:15 am

Eric1 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:54 am
I've really enjoyed watching this build come together...... and I'm learning some things along the way.
Just as I am learning from you and every other builder who posts on this site. What an amazing mutual support and respectful learning community this builders' forum is. What a privilege to participate! :D

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:38 am

Hi,
What a clean engine test installation. You never have a speck of dust on your boat I really dont know how you do that. When reading of your involvement about oysters I got the idea of growing oyster mushrooms which I am doing now. So you see we dont only learn from your boat build which I always look up first when I sign into new posts but we all get inspired by the lots of thoughts expressed in the forum.
For me the bateau forum is a must like the daily newspaper in the morning with always good news how to do little tasks in boatbuilding and always commented by lots of people with their various views to any subject.
Hope to see your boat splashed soon.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433