ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by glossieblack » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:48 pm

Appreciate the interest Richard.

Craig, the electric motor box is approximately 10" x 10" x 7", while the electric motor itself is approximately 8" in diameter and 6" long. It was sized to use battery power efficiently to produce 3 to-4 knots when in green zones, while the diesel motor should produce at least 15 knots outside green zones.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:04 am

Pictured below is the Chinese manufactured engine control mechanism being used. It cost a lot less than brand name equivalents, but came without installation instructions. The single change lever drives two change cables – one for gearbox F-N-R, and one for engine throttle/revs.

Given the way the gearbox and engine are configured, the engine control mechanism needs to operate as follows.

To move the boat forward, push the lever down from horizontal (neutral), and the cable connected to the gearbox needs to pull aft from it to engage forward, and the cable connected to the engine throttle needs to pull aft to increase engine revs.

To move the boat aft, pull the lever up from horizontal, and the cable connected to the gearbox needs to push forward, and the cable connected to engine throttle needs to pull aft.

But as supplied, while the control mechanism is configured correctly for changing the gearbox into forward or reverse, it is configured incorrectly for increasing or decreasing engine revs. Instead of pulling, the throttle cable was pushing.

After many frustrating hours trying unsuccessfully to rectify this without instructions (and increasing self-recriminating swearing along the lines ‘which stupid f****** idiot paid good f****** dollars to buy this so called f****** bargain without any f****** instructions!?), I eventually drove an hour each way to get it sorted by a professional boat builder.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Heimfried
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Heimfried » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:41 am

Hello
(I plan to start the building of an electric boat in the next weeks, after finishing my shop. Therefore I studied a lot about properties of electric motors.)
You are going to use a belt drive to transmit the motor torque to the propellor shaft if I understand right. Tighten the belt means to put radial load on the motor shaft.

Did you check if the bearings of your electric motor are capable to bear the radial load produced by the belt drive?
That is sometimes not the case, because the mechanic of a electric motor is focused on delivering torque, not so much on bearing axial and radial loads.

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:05 am

glossieblack wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:04 am
After many frustrating hours trying unsuccessfully to rectify this without instructions (and increasing self-recriminating swearing along the lines ‘which stupid f****** idiot paid good f****** dollars to buy this so called f****** bargain without any f****** instructions!?), I eventually drove an hour each way to get it sorted by a professional boat builder.
HA! I know that feeling well.

Was the solution to drill/tap an opposing cable mount point?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Heimfried wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:41 am
You are going to use a belt drive to transmit the motor torque to the propellor shaft if I understand right. Tighten the belt means to put radial load on the motor shaft. Did you check if the bearings of your electric motor are capable to bear the radial load produced by the belt drive?
Hi Heimfried, When I asked for a quote for the components for the e-drive subsystem, I specified that the e-motor had to be able to handle the radial loads involved. Eco Boats Australia has guaranteed that the supplied motor can. It's interesting to learn that you are building an electric powered boat. What type of boat, and what type of motor and batteries are you using? All the best for your project. :D
Jaysen wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:05 am
Was the solution to drill/tap an opposing cable mount point?

No modification of parts was required Jaysen, just a reconfiguration of internal components. It turns out that the engine control unit is a knock off of a long produced Morse product, which allows you to configure components to have both the gear selection or throttle cables pushing or pulling. In other words, four variants possible.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:05 am

To consolidate the record of this build in one place, I'm copying an answer from Jacques to a question I asked him in the Power Boat section. There I asked how many layers of 6" wide 12 oz biax tape were needed along each of the edge of the engine box.
jacquesmm wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:32 pm
That means it will only take the weight of the electric motor? The torque is handled by motor mounts?
In that case, one layer of tape each side should be more than enough.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Spent the morning filleting in the stringers to which the beds for the e-motor mounts will be glued before glassing the lot (centreline of boat towards top of picture).

Also installed cleats to support the inspection hatches to the bilge housing the Aquadrive.

Looking forward to the day I can glue down the sole in this part of the boat, to hide all the mess! :oops:

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:08 pm

Sorry but I do not see any mess that really needed to be covered up :doh:

I do agree it is a great day when the deck can be glued down. If for no other reason than it is wonderful to be able to walk around on a level surface. As we have come to expect from you things are looking really nice. :wink:

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:04 am

I'm with fuzz in this... can't find the mess. I'd be more than happy to fly over there and make a mess for you if needed. ;)

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:34 am

Glassed in the stringers that anchor the e-motor engine beds. Then glued them to the sides of the stringers. The beds will be glassed to the stringers next.