K2FS18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
K2FS18
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: K2FS18

Post by K2FS18 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Dutch, here you go.

Basically I added a station behind B, lets call it B2. This station is about where the sole had the splice at 8' if I remember correctly. Station B and A I adjusted a little to give me the interior layout I wanted. I know, Don't move stations!! But, since I 12oz glassed that whole section from B forward, I guessed that the forces under power would not damage haul while busting chop.

K2FS18
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by K2FS18 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Try this again. Dutch, this photo shows the starting point of the tape measure. This is Station D I believe, the station where the sole ends and the deck begins at the rear.

Here is Station B2 the added station (left) and B (right). I also raised the soles on the interior (front and rear) 1" so that any water would drain to the open cockpit. I do not have any penetrations through the soles. All edges and soles are filleted and taped. Should be water tight in the foam filled cavity.
Station B2 is about 91.5" and B is about 108".

I added a cross member at about 126" as a stiffener for the hatch opening.

Station A is about at 154"

It is also a little taller, 13" from raised sole. I raised the front deck so that it was not as low and not as much side rails stood proud. I wanted some side rails to keep fly line from blowing off deck.

This view is looking out of Station A back towards Station B. I could have gotten the LED lights a little straighter. Oops, don't look to closely...that is not a screw.

This is looking from D back towards the front to B2.

And the hatch and fuel cap!

K2FS18
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by K2FS18 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:19 pm

Also think about your fuel tank. When I raised the sole 1", I did not have my tank of filler. This caused some issue as the two hit before the filler was flush on the deck. I had to cut a little from the tank neck and a little from the filler neck. I am sure not up to USGS codes, but it will do the job. There is currently about a 1/4" between the two. Once the 2" fuel filler line is doubled clamped, the deck will not flex at that point. You will notice I added more deck bracing to help stiffen deck and not put pressure on the fuel tank.

Dutch1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dutch1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:19 pm

I understand and thanks for posting!

Steve

Dutch1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dutch1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:26 pm

Dang, I replied before I saw your last two posts. I apologize. I just read through and studied them. Wow! Thank you! That is way more than I thought I was going to get as far a pics. Especially since I know what it takes to add the pics. Your boat looks really good and I like what you did. That hatch is great! I'll be glad when I get to that point! You'll be ready to splash that thing soon.

I'm definitely putting the battery in the station A hold too. But, I'm not sold on an internal tank. I think I'd rather be able to pull the tank to go fill it up but I could be swayed to the dark side (internal tank).

What kind of wood did you use for your cleats and support frames?

And, thank you again!

Dutch1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dutch1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:30 pm

I just noticed we posted at the same time last time. I wonder if the post with all of the images took a little longer to actually post to the thread. I usually troll the "new posts" quick link and wouldn't have seen them. Basically, I feel bad you took the time it takes to add all of those images and provide the information for my quick response last time. Much appreciated!

K2FS18
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by K2FS18 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:36 am

Second try. Posted this last night but must have not hit submit.

Decks all prepped and ready to g, trying not to destroy the interior finish.

Glued Down!!

A little more prep (lots more) and will be 4oz glassing soon!

K2FS18
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by K2FS18 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:39 am

No worries Steve. Glad I could help out. Seems like most threads on the FS18 lack the details on the end of the build process. And that is where the fun really begins, making it yours.

BB Sig
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:48 am

Great work! I noticed circles drawn on the plywood. Is that where you need to fill in screw holes? Just curious... :doh:

K2FS18
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by K2FS18 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:48 am

Steve, I used western Hemlock for all the wood items that are not plywood. I just have lots of this on hand from an earlier project. It is very straight grained, light weight, mills and cuts easily and takes epoxy. If I did not have that, most likely would have used cypress ( I think).