GF16 in FL

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GF16 in FL

Post by Eric1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:01 am

Looking Good!

94'325is
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by 94'325is » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks!

Bought a grab bar and got it ready to be mounted. Nothing is epoxied yet but everything is cut/drilled so that will be tonight's project. Since the boat doesn't have a true deck/bilge setup bolting to the hull was out so I had to come up with a mount that would allow for through bolting to the bottom as well as open base to allow water to drain. It will also be bolted to the rear of the center seat.

The next plan is to fabricate a shelf for the GPS and to run the wires internally through the seat to the bar so there's nothing exposed. It's getting there slowly and I have to keep reminding myself that there is no deadline on the boat so taking my time to get it right now will be for the best in the end.

94'325is
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by 94'325is » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:04 am

I got the grab rail mounted and secured, it's very solid. I've already used it a few times moving around the boat and I can definitively say if you are falling it is nice to have. I cut out the rod holders and have them mocked in place. The upper rod is higher than the lower to allow for clearance for larger reels.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Looking good! I want to build one of these!

94'325is
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by 94'325is » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Thanks, I'd recommend building one. I haven't taken it out yet but already I like the size of it and how quick the build is, especially if you were to keep it simple.

I epoxied the horizontal rod mounts in place and mounted the 'trolling' rod holders in the bow. I am going to cut down the tube so it doesn't extend as far into the bow compartment and throw a bolt through it so that the reel doesn't bottom out on the deck in the holder.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:06 am

Looking good! Cracker Larry and I took his about 5 miles out of Crystal River on a calm day, the white caps kicked up and we came back in but it rode fine in a following sea. Can't beat for two in shallow water fishing.
Restored Mirror Dingy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Desghn courses.

94'325is
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by 94'325is » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:01 am

That's a good report and basically exactly how I picture using this boat. I can't wait to get it in the water, it's hard not to rush the final details but I know it will be worth it in the end when I don't have to re-do things down the road.

Built and mounted a shelf for the GPS and LED deck lights. I told my wife around 7pm that I had about 30 min of work left, next time I checked my phone it was midnight but the wiring is all done and everything works great. I'm planning on building a small clear plastic windshield to mount in front of the GPS so I don't have to take it off when towing. The picture with the lights on is no other light in the garage on but LEDs look weird in pictures. Getting closer!

94'325is
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by 94'325is » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:44 pm

Getting very close, took tomorrow off for a hopeful launch. The varnish won't be done but I'm at the point where I want to see it in the water and it's killing me seeing it this close.

I primed the interior and got the Kiwigrip down. I ordered white KG and wanted to get it tinted but none of the places around me would tint. The best offer was from Lowes to give me a spraypaint cap of their standard water based tint and do it at home. I ended up with a light green (which is what I wanted) in order to have some contrast with the white on the sides and to follow the theme of the seafoam green exterior.

Sorry about the bad lighting, I've been working until midnight everynight trying to finish.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:04 pm

I like that color the Kiwi Grip turned out, your build is turning out nicely.
Hank

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:35 pm

That kicks butt! Great Job!!! Glad it tinted like you wanted it to.