OD18 - NH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BB Sig
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: OD18 - NH

Post by BB Sig » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:27 pm

I built a homemade dust separator out of 20 gal trash can that still leaks a little bit. I've got to get some weather stripping to see if I can get it to seal better. I also think I need to adjust my plate. I'll post pictures after the weekend and do a weight test to see what is still getting through.

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:02 am

A home made dust separator sounds interesting. I am all about building tools that work better than shop brought ones.

I just spent a week in LA (which was very nice to be out of the NH winter for a week) and have done some thinking on the flights about those pesky scupper drains. I just hate the idea of having to plug them during normal use. I think I have come up with an idea that might work. It's almost definitely heavier, less efficient and way more complicated but I think I can live with it better. Currently my boat is a svelte lightweight but this steady diet of over engineering certainly will make it just as Cape Man said "a bit of a bloater" :D

I am thinking about running the scuppers through the transom with a sea cock that I can shut to prevent back flow. It all seems to be possible and all the parts are available with one problem. I cant find an acceptable way to get a flexible hose through frame 'E' below the sole. I know this must be possible but I cant find it. I have a 15 hour flight to Hong Kong on Saturday. If I don't find an answer by then I may go mad thinking about it on the flight. The best I have come up with is a dam 6" forward of frame 'E' extending the bilge under the drain.

Can anyone offer any advise on an approved way to pass a hose through a bulkhead without loosing the water tightness of the compartment? :?:

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:44 pm

Finally in a position to start bonding some of the components together.

Set myself up an improvised bench to keep the mixing close to the work space.

I labeled the pumps to prevent cross contamination and hopefully help me pump the right stuff. A = Resin, B = Hardener

Laying out for the stringers.

Laying out the stringer components to be primed before applying adhesive.

I used dowels to align the parts until i could clamp.

I used all my spring clamps to apply even pressure

I clamped the stringers together to ensure they came out identical during cleanup.

Both stringers came out straight and square so that should help installing them.

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:56 pm

I pre-cut all the glass tape before mixing any resin to limit the time as I am using fast hardener due the temperatures here at the moment.

Had to use all kinds of things to hold the panels level while fiber glassing.

The BOM should include that you need a workshop full of crap to have enough to hold the panels flat :D

The tapes went down with no problems.

All the side panels complete and sanded.

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Laminated the clamping board using dowels to align the parts and lots of weights to evenly clamp.

Laying out the transducer location and the bait well intake.

I used tape to back the holes.

Laminating the transducer pad.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:22 pm

Fair WX Pilot, nice, clean work!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:13 pm

Are you sure this is your first build? It looks like you went to Cracker Larry's boat building school and were the star pupil.
Needless to say every thing you have done looks great :!:

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:14 am

How's the boat coming along?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi Cape Man, boats coming along slowly due to work commitments. I cant complain as some aren't lucky enough to have a job they like but I do anyway :wink: . I was making good progress when someone decided to put a tail steady through the back of one of our aircraft in JFK. So I have been down there helping repair the damage.

Hi Fuzz, This is definitely my first boat. I helped my Dad build his boat when I was a kid but that largely meant getting in his way and creating problems for him to fix. He never minded and I loved working with him. I have been an Aircraft Engineer for the past 25 years and run a gunsmithing business so I have a bit of a leg up when it comes to hands on building.

I have picked up lots from Cracker Larry in his posts here. He did a fantastic FS18 build that was superbly documented and most of the pictures have survived. I would say CL's boats are expertly engineered and most of my projects are over engineered (that's not always a good thing) :wink:

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:46 pm

I was very fortunate to be apprenticed to an engineer called John Sarratt. John was an engineer from the old Croydon Aerodrome days and became one of the leading vintage aircraft engineers in England before his passing a few years ago. He was famous for his work with the Tiger Club.

John always said make sure your squeeze out runs away from your face side and face edge to make clean up easier.

A simple panel following bit.

Using the clean face edge as a guide

Less than a couple minuets later, all done