GV15 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Huntsabunch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: GV15 Build

Post by Huntsabunch » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:43 pm

Well, I said I'd post the good and the bad so, here goes. As I was admiring my glossy new epoxy job I noticed just a couple places where I was a little light so I decided to fill them in with some fast cure hardener and maybe be able to sand this evening. I mixed a little more than I needed so I used it up on any place that wasn't mirror smooth. The fast cure didn't self level like the slow cure did and now I'm left with a butt load of sanding to do. To top it off, even with the heat turned up, it still isn't ready to sand so looks like I'll be another day before I get to prime. Maybe two with all the sanding I created for myself.
Thanks for the compliments though. Glad I took a picture before I shot myself in the foot. :roll:

Huntsabunch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Huntsabunch » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 pm

Okay, got everything sanded back down level and smooth. The only visible defects (to my eye) are one or two places where a tiny bit of the texture of the cloth is peeking through the resin. They are about 1/4th the size of a grain of rice so I am hoping the primer will cover. I stopped at 220 on the epoxy seal coat thinking that the roller texture of the primer will be rougher than that. I plan to go to, at least 320 or 400 on the primer.

Huntsabunch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Huntsabunch » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:15 pm

Applied first coat of primer Monday evening. Sure felt good to be doing something besides sanding. I chose to go with the system three, 2 part water based epoxy primer. After reading the can I'm not sure it was the best choice. Looks like it builds 1 mil per coat. It's taking 20 ounces per coat so the best I can hope for is around 6 mil. I was really hoping for 12 to 18 mil in case I need to sand out some imperfections. Looks like I will probably end up doing some more fairing.
About an hour after applying the first coat I went back out to admire my handiwork and was aghast to see the nastiest looking abomination of craters, fish eyes, and general ugliness. see pics.

It looked like I had tried to paint over a mist of hydraulic fluid. Anyway, it turned out to be more of an optical illusion than anything. I waited another hour and applied a second coat. It covered almost completely and lowered my blood pressure to 190/120. here is a shot of the bow with one coat on the right and two on the left.

I went home at lunch and put a third coat on and am starting to feel like my prime job might be a success. I still wish I had a few more mills but I don't plan on investing another $100 in primer if I can help it. Here's where it stands now.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:07 pm

Huntsabunch, I have never seen the Systems Three Yacht Primer react the way it did in your initial photos. Did it look like that all over or in a specific area? Jeff

AmbitiousRookie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AmbitiousRookie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:36 pm

I seen this in auto paint some times it was oil leaching out of cast :lol: and a few other times we linked it back to our prep guy pushing to hard with a tack cloth. Haven't use marine paint yet so not sure if it has some of the same temperaments

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:12 pm

I also was expecting system three to be thicker, especially because a lot gets sanded away.
I guess it all worked out in the end.
Tony

Huntsabunch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Huntsabunch » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:20 am

Jeff wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:07 pm
Huntsabunch, I have never seen the Systems Three Yacht Primer react the way it did in your initial photos. Did it look like that all over or in a specific area? Jeff
Pretty much everywhere. Some places are worse than others. While the fish eyes are very visible they have very little relief. in other words, they are very flat. The second coat of primer nearly eliminated them and the third coat did eliminate them. Boat looks great this morning and (so far) I haven't found a single place that is going to require additional fairing. That might all change when I start sanding.

Browndog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Browndog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:20 am

Be very careful sanding. Very easy to sand through the primer. Would recommend only hand sanding and probably start with 320 or 400. On my canoe project I had 3 coats of the same primer and learned the hard way. Had to put on a 4th coat to touch up all of the issues I created while sanding.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:41 am

Huntsabunch & Browndog, thank you both!! Good learning lesson from you both!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Don't forget that when you spray unless you are very experienced your coats will be thinner than what you can put on with a roll and tip process. This is what I see to have happened in the first coat. Either to much was put on or to little was put on. I would guess that to much was put on and it should have been given a light sanding to get rid of the craters and fisheyes.
Restored Mirror Dingy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Desghn courses.