AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by das boot » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:41 pm

Glad to see you are moving forward looks good I just a bought forgot to put that small keel at the back of my boat when I built it I only noticed it just as I was putting it on the trailer but I caught it in time. As for using the holes in the rudder to clime into the boat I tried it mabey I am just to old i finely got in but it was a battle I picked up a rope type ladder that hooks to a cleat and drops over the side that works well.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:53 pm

Rope ladders work fine unless you're by yourself when you go over. 8O
Tony

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:57 am

Hi,
When I eventually sail my boat I will have a boarding ladder which my sister gave to me after rescuing it from a rubbish dump. She thought it would work fine for her as she battled to get aboard a sail boat after a swim in the lake over a rope ladder only a few days before she found this one. She is not quite my weight class but also in her late sixties, so the rope ladder was a big problem for her but with 3 strong men on board they could pull her up onto the sail boat. This ladder I have tested on my transom already and it can take my weight with the only disadvantage I have to lift the rudder into the boat to be able to hang the round part over the transom. The round parts had the plastic covering of the alu pipe it is made of a bit damaged and that is why it landed in a shipyards dump. I just put some yellow tape over it and it will most probably outlive me. The adjustable studs and the round parts fold sideways so it can be stored flat in the cabin.

And now that the weather is getting better I will glue the keel shoe to the boat this weekend. It was a long time without epoxy that is why I played in the cellar not only with boat parts. Being so far away from the sea and not as close to oyster banks like Michael in Australia I tried my luck with growing oyster mushrooms out of coffee dregs and today I harvested the first 202 grams of it. Now you know why my boat is not finished yet, because the stress of retirement chases me from one task to the next. Coffee being the most traded commodity in the world after oil gets at least a second use in my cellar after hot water is being pressed thru it for our wake up drink. And to make it really environmentally right I fetch all the coffee dregs in buckets on the carrier of my bicycle from 2 coffee shops and a retirement home.

So enough of the cackle and off to the keel shoe.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:38 pm

Karl, you make me smile.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:12 pm

The big thing is do not fall out of the boat when sailing alone i trail a rope with a float on it once you let go of the rudder the boat will slow down or stop our water is cold here this gives you something to get back to the boat with. I also ware a self inflating vest this ladder i have has hard plastic steps but they fold into each other so it is small for storage. I also have a small inflatable on the boat that I can inflate using my 12VDC battery I have used it to get to shore with and I have used the lader to get in and out of that it works once I get the boat out of winter storage I will send you a picture of it you could build it quick I bought mine but it is simple to build.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:47 pm

The mushrooms look good and I agree about the need for a ladder but, I designed steps in the rudder to use as a ladder.
Someone mentioned it in a thread but now it looks like we forgot about it.
It is kind of any emergency ladder, not as nice as your full fledged ladders but it works.

I also agree about dragging a line with a float behind the boat. That line is conected to the rudder and if a single handed sailor falls over board, he grabs the line and boat turns in the wind and stops.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:28 am

Hi,
Last Sunday I wrote cut the cackle and on to the keel shoe. Now that it is Sunday morning again I can report the keel shoe and skeg is on and glassed with 450 biax tape on each side and as the tape is 16 cm wide I could lay it nicely over the fillet to the bottom of the boat. This and future graphite epoxy should be able to take some beating.

Keeltrunk filled with styrofoam covered in packing tape and keelshoe ready to be glued

Keel shoe glued to bottom SB with two wedges to be 100 % level until hard

Keel shoe tunnel heating

Keel shoe glassed with 450 biax tape

Keel shoe glassed with 450 biax tape from bow view

Now I am ready to cover the bottom and sides with fibreglass.
Greetings from Karl

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:26 am

Great to see that the weather gods have let you recommence serious work Karl. And what good progress you've made! Quality work by a quality builder. Well done! :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:16 am

Yes I try to work as accurate as you down under guys. Salvatore was my first inspiration to try hard to do it right and soon after he finished his sail boat in record time your build started and is an idol for me to work clean and correct. I study even every electric motor detail of your build even that I will never have an electric inboard myself but your perfection is a good example for me how to build. I will not reach the quality and perfection of my many idol builds on the forum like Tonys V10, Bondos Adelie, Graigs and Richards and Johns ( Nor ' Easter ) boats which I had the pleasure to have a ride on in Homosassa. Yes it is fun building a boat and drinking some red wine in the evening watching others being built around the world and being in contact with their builders.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:27 am

Looking sound and strong, Karl. I admire your ability to persevere and think of creative solutions to the weather. :D
Tony