New AD14 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: New AD14 build

Post by topwater » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:26 am

You can check out a product called Shark Hide, they use it on pontoon boats. When i use to do my fuel tanks on
my 18 wheeler i would hit hit it with an acid wash which would clean and turn the tanks white and then have to polish
them to get rid of the white. its a lot of work but they would have a mirror Finnish , to much work for a mast .

Novi 23 finally launched !

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:07 pm

ks8 - here are the pictures (including closeups) of the mast and boom.

It is in pretty good shape. Just looks like normal corrosion to me. Now that is is finally starting to be not as brutally hot here in Florida I might start getting some more work done.

topwater

Post by topwater » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:48 am

Try some Flitz metal polish and get a power ball buffer for your drill , should clean it right up.
You can pick this up at most auto parts stores.
Novi 23 finally launched !

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:52 pm

Nice. I have masthead sheaves like that. One of the axles was not sufficiently peened. Fell out and jammed sheave and halyard, of course, at a most inopportune moment. Looks like the only cleaning functionally needed is to polish up the slot so that hoisting and dropping the main will be smoother and easier than in the current condition. I use separate external blocks now, partly because I don't run the halyards inside the mast. One of these days I'll order a plain masthead cap without integrated sheaves. One less thing to be thinking/worrying about. :)

cv16 mast pictures

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:33 pm

This weekend i got the rest of the bottom and sides fiberglassed:

And a coat of QuickFair fairling compound applied to the bottom. I will need a second coat in some spots since there were deep small pockets in the fiberglass that I had trouble always filling up with the first coat. I still need to do a fairing coat to the side. I used less epoxy on this half which meant it used more fairing compound. Not a good trade form a cost perspective, but much easier to work with.

I also got one side of my centerboard fiberglassed. It looks so cool to me like this that I am tempted to smooth it with epoxy and leave it clear. But I know nobody will ever see it under the boat, so I will fair and paint it.

I am now trying to figure out what paint to use on the bottom to finish that part up before rotating the boat back upright for the final time. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated. I am confused about whether I need a primer on the bottom. Do I need anti-fouling since I will trailor the boat? I wouldn't think I would need an epoxy primer since I have so many other layers of epoxy. Since it will not sit in the water and sun (I will cover it) I don't think I need real expensive paint.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:30 pm

You do not need anti-fouling unless your plans change and you decide to keep it in the water. No marine growth will occur while it's on the trailer!

I do not think you have to use primer but I think it's a good idea. You could use S3 or the primer recommended by the topcoat manufacturer which will be less expensive. The paint could be Interlux Brightside, Pettit EasyPoxy, or Rustoleum Topside which is even cheaper.

Or you could do as many of us have and mix graphite with epoxy. This will not look as nice but will be harder.
Tony

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:10 pm

Is the graphite/epoxy mix for a primer or a topcoat? I admit that I would like to get away from epoxy. I miss how nicely and easily paint spreads to an even coat without getting everywhere :)

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:00 pm

I miss how nicely and easily paint spreads to an even coat without getting everywhere :)
In that case, forget the epoxy/graphite. It's a bit troublesome to get it right and even though I did the research and tried to make it work, I found it tedious and aesthetically unsatisfying. Unless you expect to put your boat on the beach, it is not necessary. But if that's what you want to do, I'd recommend it.
Tony

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:51 am

Hi,

My advise is to use epoxy/graphite for a last time on your boat just below the waterline. It comes out smooth like paint when you make 3 thin layers according to Cracker Larries instruction. It will be good for years against scratches. Here a picture of my FS13 bottom as an example:

Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:54 am

Again, very nice finish Karl!! Jeff