New AD14 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: New AD14 build

Post by Fuzz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:12 pm

I use spray adhesive to stick sandpaper to scrap wood blocks for sanding sometimes. It seems to work pretty well.
The best way to save your shoulders is to have one or more big, strong boys. Feeding them is expensive though so that might not work out cost wise. :roll: The next best is a neighbours kid. If they have a size 12 shoe and a 2 inch bull plug for a hardhat that is even better :lol:

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:21 pm

Tony

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 am

Great suggestions, thanks. Unfortunately my son is even smaller than I am - even though he is a teenager and still eats me to the poor house :) . But I do have spray adhesive and a Harbour Frieght just down the street so I will try those as well.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:36 am

I use staples to attach paper to the wood or spray glue , i like staples better . Arrow T 50 stapler .
Novi 23 finally launched !

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:14 am

I am not fond of physical labor my own self. But the real grunt work can often be accomplished with power tools like belt and orbital sanders. The long board process is more like finish work or sculpting. It can be tedious and repetitious because it takes time to achieve a really smooth result if that's what you're after. Many of us use a guide coat at this stage to help determine high and low spots. But the most physically demanding part of this is getting your body in the right position to do the work. If you can set yourself up right, the motion and effort with the sanding block shouldn't be like weight lifting.
Tony

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:37 am

Hi,
You got a lot of good advice about rasps and sandpaper and so on but I thought all of a sudden why you cant fit the centreboard into the trunk. I found the following out the hard way. Pushing my test centreboard into the slot I had the same problem on my AD14 it did not go in.
One has to push the pivot end of the centreboard in first ( about half of its height ) and then only the rear because of the camber there.
After I did it this way with my test board I got it in easily and when the real heavy board has to go in I will remember pivot end first. Try this and you might not have to rasp or sand whatsoever.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:12 pm

Could you avoid rasping and insert the centerboard pivot end first ?
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:39 pm

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I just got back from a trip. I will give that a try.

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:25 pm

It has been a while since I could post any progress. It took a lot of effort to get the slot for the centerboard opened up wide enough. The most useful tool turned out to be a sanding attachment for my reciprocating saw. I also finished fairing, sanding and painting the bottom and centerboard so I could install the centerboard and be ready to flip the boat back upright.

The finish isn't perfectly smooth but I am getting better as I go so hopefully I can get the sides finished smoother.

topwater

Post by topwater » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:25 am

That's okay fish don't care :wink:
Novi 23 finally launched !