WouldWork's V12, Sailing version

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: WouldWork's V12, Sailing version

Post by Cracker Larry » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:03 pm

I would not have the mast where it can fall out during a capsize, and the rudder can be secured with just a bungee cord. It is very easy to right a small sailboat, mast, sail and all, if you know how. I've done it hundreds of times.

Point the boat directly into the wind and loosen both sheets. (Don't want that sail to catch air and leave without you :wink: ) Position yourself on the up current side of the boat. Rig a line from your side of the gunwale, around the bottom of the boat and back across the gunwales to you. Now stand on the dagger board or center board, start pulling the line with your arms while pushing with your feet. The boat will spin like a top and the sail will dump the water.

I used to do a lot of competitive sailboat racing, big boats, dinghys, sailboards and catamarans. In 1978 we won the Miami Yacht Club Christmas regatta in one design Windmill class. It's a 14' plywood boat. A winter cold front came through strong, the wind was blowing 50-60 and we capsized at least 3 times on the windward and reaching legs. Maybe more. The finish run was dead downwind, and were close to the lead but not close enough. We threw up the spinnaker. wow! No guts, no glory, right :D We pitch poled twice on the downwind leg and still crossed the finish line in first place, full of water but still sailing :D

Sometime in the 1980's, I forget exactly, a good friend and I decided it would be a good idea to enter the Worrell 1000 with his Hobie Cat 18 . Not! It's a 1,000 mile beach catamaran ocean race, from Ft. Lauderdale to Virginia Beach. It was also blowing like stink and we capsized and pitch poled I don't know how many times. Dozens. But even a big wide cat can be righted fairly easy in the manner I described above. We had permanently rigged righting lines on the boat, pretty standard on catamaran hulls. The 3rd day leg stop was halfway, 500 miles to Tybee Island, and that's home to us. We were in about 15th place and a pair of drowned rats. Only race I've ever quit and it wasn't me who quit. My partner was done and he owned the boat. I do like to finish what I start, I ain't no quitter, even if it's in last place :oops:

Righting a little sailboat is no problem. Just need to know how. Point her into the wind, loosen the sheets, wrap a line around it, stand on the dagger board and pull the line. She'll come right up. Don't pull too hard or it will fall back on your head.
Last edited by Cracker Larry on Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:30 pm

Thanks guys, a healthy discussion on the subject is just what I needed. I don't even have friends that sail so this board is my bible.

I've planned to capsize, I'm expecting it so if the contrary occurs it will just be a pleasant surprise. I'll start on a day with a light breeze, I'm not looking for speed - which is lucky since this hull is no rocket anyway.

I'll chuck a float on the mast for sure.

I'll google some recovery lines and see what I can rig up.

I'll (now that it's been pointed out) carry a bailing jug.... On a lanyard.

Shall secure the block with my clove hitch, and anchor to a cleat on the mast.

The lake I'll launch her at is good, there's lots of little inlets, peninsulas so I can at least start with the wind at the right direction. I'll have a rescue boat or jetski on hand if needed. I'm a very strong swimmer so keeping up with a slowly drifting away boat shouldn't be a problem. I'll wear a life jacket just in case.

It's so exciting talking about actually sailing instead of technical build topics - reminds me she's almost ready to go!!

Unfortunately it's been raining for a week straight, so progress is limited to looking at her daydreaming about what's to be. Haha.

I'll take heaps of pics on launch day - this will catalogue everything a novice shouldn't do for other first time sailers. Haha.

I always planned to build this boat for experience alone, then to be sold to help finance somehing else. Problem is I'm really getting into the idea of sailing and enjoying this boat that I think looks so sweet! We shall see. Maybe I'll build a proper sail boat next... Who knows. I'll build something though.

Thanks again for compliments on the build, encouraging progress, and all the advice. KS8's been offering advice since day one of this build. Four years later and I'm almost there. Appreciate your patience.

I'll wait for the rain to stop - it is meant to be the dry season here, and keep at it.

Take care.

Cam.
Completed: CC14 Canoe and V12 sail boat.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:42 pm

:oops: Glad I could help a bit. Remember, there's good people here that have 100 times more experience actually sailing... and flopping...and righting... and racing.... and cruising... and crewing... and you name it... in all sorts of conditions. They've helped me alot just reading what has been said to others from that place of a lifetime of experience. :wink: And I think all us sailing newbies greatly appreciate their sage wisdom. :D Always learning. :)

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:34 pm

So who wants to visit me for lanuch day? Lol... KS8? CL? come on guys!

I've been very busy with the boat, getting in at least an hour a day. who woulda thought this close to the end that one could still spend hours and hours doing stuff. I guess I'm just trying to perfect and refine things. Mostly been sanding here and there so again, not terribly interesting pics. There's a bit of visible progress though.

So anyway, I put a strip of graphite along the bottom edge of the skeg and stretches up to a couple of inches past the daggerboard trunk. There was a messy joint in the daggerboard hole, and when I glassed the skeg the single piece of glass didn't manage the bend so there was a fair bit of sanding, grinding, filling and re-glassing. Ended up ok, but just a bit ugly - enter graphite.

My mast cleat for anchoring the sprit down turned up - fitted, drilled out, epoxy filled and re-fitted.

I assembled the tiller and rudder with a nice stainless nut and bolt and some felt washers on the inner edges. Looks good (to me)

And the most exciting bit in quite a while - I started finishing it! It's quite hot here and I have new resin so I'm working in stages. It seems I can work with 120mL of mixed resin at a time, as long as after mixing I transfer it into this large bucket.

So the transom has it's first coat of epoxy

As does the left bottom stern quarter.

I'm just waiting for that to kick, so I have confidence in this new resin, then I'll get the wife helping keeping fresh batches of epoxy up to me as I coat the rest of the bottom.

I've decided on colour/bright scheme, not much to it but should look good. The rub rails will be a deep maroon red colour, as will the seat frames. Everything else will be bright. I've sanded through the top veneer a little on the side where the buttblock is. Seems the buttblock gave me a little flat spot that once faired showed a little of the ply's second veneer. Looks terribly ugly, but I may be able to stretch the decal for the name that far to cover it.

That's all for now gents, I'll finish the bottom completely, then the 'not-so-big' flip to start the inside.

Edit** update on new resin - cured fine, have now epoxy covered the bottom completely. Sand it tomorrow and coat it again then sand for varnish coats.

Take care all

Cam.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:58 am

Really nice work!! Jeff

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:11 am

Lovely look on the bright wood. I'm jealous.
Tony

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:30 pm

WouldWork wrote: I've been very busy with the boat, getting in at least an hour a day. who woulda thought this close to the end that one could still spend hours and hours doing stuff. I guess I'm just trying to perfect and refine things.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No doubt... full blown case of BBV. :help: Don't forget to sleep and eat and all other essentials in your life with and for others.... BBV makes all clocks spin much faster... and the entire universe... :wink:

8)

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:29 am

Looks fantastic. The more I am getting into my little build, the more I am being pressured to build the sailboat version. I've never sailed myself, but after watching all the little boats just off the beach on my last vacation I'm coming around. Seems like alittle 60-70lb boat would be amazing to beach launch and have for the family to mess around in. 8) I love the bright finish as well

Will

GV15 Complete, D4 in progress

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:40 am

Justin Pipkorn wrote: Image

The rudder also shown in the picture is also worth looking at. The shock cord holds the rudder down but if the rudder grounds out, the rudder blade lifts up and stays up. The trick is to get the rudder pivot and shock cord location to work out. It works. This way, if I sail into shallow water, I can focus on lifting the daggerboard and let the rudder take care of itself.
Justin, do you have a link to plans on this rudder or is it something you came up with on you own? Need to think of something like this for my v12... feel free to comment on my thread to avoid polluting WouldWork's (http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61306)

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:19 pm

Jeff - thanks for the compliment, encourages me to maintain the standard. I want 'builder' status... Maybe if I pull this off with a beautiful finish you guys might consider it? Lol Just kidding, I'm really just trying to keep to my own standards and expectations. I have a mental image of the finished product and that's the minimum finish.

Terrulian - I'm loving the bright work on this, the FG weave isn't showing but you can see in places the timber is a slightly lighter colour where the tape runs. It's not too noticable though which is good.

KS8 - The weather has taken care of my need to remember other important parts of life and family. It won't stop raining and I'm kind of stalled waiting. I'm building in a temporary tarp shelter so I like to bring the boat outside for sanding. The forecast is looking up in the coming week or so. Hopefully I can finish. As for BBV - yup, got it bad and the only cure is to keep building right? Good thing is there's only 12 or 13 more boats on the site that I really like and want to build so I should be cured in about 30 years.... Lol

Wegcagle - A sail boat without a sail is just a boat... I've never sailed at all, one bit! But the closer I get to finishing, the more excited I am about trying. I think sailing may become addictive, we'll see.

Jaysen - Feel free to 'pollute' the post, it keeps it all together for other builders considering similar ideas. I think KS8 may be able offer advice on an articulating rudder/daggerboard.

I've found and bought a trailer, so the car-topping idea will thankfully be put to bed. I got a 7x5 box trailer for $50. She's a bit rusty but nothing a bit of hard-yakka can't fix.

I'll put up some pics of the trailer and boat once the rain stops.

Take care all

Cam.