Another SK14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Another SK14

Post by terrulian » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:49 pm

Great stuff, and I love the slotted inwale, something I considered but didn't do.

Tony

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:49 pm

Here goes following Fred's instructions on routering the inwale.

That little router is a Bosch Colt. I have a bigger plunge router that wants to eat me. My only claim to fame with the thing is I've only butchered wood, not me (yet) with it. This little Colt guy is more my speed. Thanks to Fred for the directions, I'd not have figured it. Now, how do I paint in there after it's glued on :doh: Little bitty brush?

Dougster

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:18 am

Yep.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:37 pm

OK. I'm still creeping along. Transom knees are in with fillets and tape. Tape is sanded, that's why it looks so white. I took time to use a round over bit around the knees and fussed over getting them centered and straight.

Next I started on an addition I decided on. The front deck is so tiny, that with a trolling motor and it's pad, there's no room for more than a little 6" or so access hatch. So I decided to extend the deck (I haven't cut it yet) a foot and put in a bigger hatch there so there's room for a small anchor and line.
Looks like this (hatch for the deck is laying on the sole for perspective).

The deck that hatch sits in is only 1/4" ply, but it must hold up to a guy stepping up on it. The span is 12" wide by 32" on the longest side. Dunno. When I cut it I'll lay it on some 2 x 4 pieces and see. The hatch will shore it up some, but I'll not be surprised if it needs some more.

Ready for fall weather Dougster

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:17 pm

Looking good Dougster!

I like the idea of a small dry storage space like that. Nice to have a spot to tuck your jacket and lunch and not have them soggy.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:18 pm

Dougster, really looking good!! Jeff

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:41 pm

For the hatch support I would first cut the opening that the hatch will sit in, then install a cleat port and starboard, tight to the cut out, but I would make a notch in both bulkheads that the cleat drops into. Epoxy the cleats into the notched bulkheads and to the underside of the 1/4" ply deck, and if that doesn't give you enough support you may need larger cleats, or support that goes from the deck to the sole. Mike

cvincent
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cvincent » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:07 pm

Dougster your boat looks great. I have had good luck with the cabelas advanced angler AGM batteries. I have a group 27 battery (59 lbs) in my D15 and use a 55# minn kota. I have fished many hours without running the battery down, these boats are so light. Cabelas regularly puts these batteries on sale and will ship to your house free.
Completed D15, Building PH18

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Hey Doug. Good to see u haven't lost ur touch as a builder. Say Hi to Shirley from Julie and I.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:35 pm

Don! There you be, good to hear from you. I hope you can make the Port A boat show the second week of Oct. Shirley and I will be there. Jacques too I hear, but dunno about anyone else. That show is fun, seeing all different builds. Thanks for the tip on cabelas AGM's vincent----I've been looking a VMaxTank batteries on line but I'll check out Cabelas. I want around 60amphours and 60 lbs or less.

Seaslug, I can see what you suggest and think I'll take that advice. I'm like Fred and want that little dry space enough to go to the trouble. Gotta stand up to reasonable abuse though..

Hope to see you in Port A Don,

Dougster