Another SK14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Another SK14

Post by Fred in Wisc » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:14 am

I like your flip technique. And the slotted rails look great.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks a lot Fred. I owe you for the encouragement on doing the slotted rails. I like 'em too, enough to decide to finish them bright. I tested some off cut pieces with Sikkons Cetol yesterday and like it ok. Not decided yet though. I'd like to use EMC clear to try it as I have some left over in blue and wouldn't have to buy the reducer and brushing whatever for it. You have to buy a whole quart though and that seems a touch silly. Dunno

Dougster

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:07 pm

I got the bottom glassed yesterday. I used the 6 oz woven the BOM calls for even though I hate the stuff and have had my share of troubles with it. I went slowly and used small knap rollers from Home Depot. I know some prefer squeegees but my LB 22 hasn't fallen apart yet and I used rollers, so I figured I'd keep dancing with the girl I brung. I worked one half first, then the other, wet on wet with a 6" overlap. I cut the cloth to fit, marked where it lay on the hull with a magic marker, and pre-measured some resin. Then I rolled a coat of resin on where the cloth fit, layed out the cloth, and rolled more resin on top. Seemed to go fine :)

Seems good to go. I was gonna fill the weave 'till I remembered the dern skeg. It's gotta be glued on with no chance of screws, so I need to glue it down now before I put on fairing mix. There are no dimensions on the skeg in the plans so I'm checking in here.

1. I figure 6 feet long or so and 1" by 1" Sound right?
2. I have a piece of what I call iron wood (ipe?) that's good but I don't trust gluing it with epoxy. Not confident of oak either
3. Box store has SYP (glues well but seems soft) Oak, and Cedar.

I can track down some Doug Fir if need be as well, but SYP would be easier. Maybe screw a strip of aluminum on the bottom of it. Anyone have opinions?

Dougster

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:37 pm

I used this stuff:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... do?pid=222

You can see my installation here if you scroll down:
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=460

So far, so good. It really takes a beating much better than the epoxy/graphite mixture.
Tony

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:44 am

Dougster i have glued up Ipe wood samson post and all the trim in my bunk area and also the trim that holds my drop down boards
for the companion way. If you use it sand the glue area with 80 grit paper then wipe down with acetone, keep wiping until the rag
comes away clean " it will take a while" then glue it up .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:27 pm

Thanks Terrulian, that's a good price on the half oval. Wish I'd put it on my LB22. I'd heard about the acetone trick Topwater and since it worked for you I think I'll go with that, especially because I have a piece on hand (it's left over from when my house was build 14 years ago 8O) Any way I ripped it in the table saw and got a 6' piece that is 1" by 1". Here it is dry fit on the hull. It has some warp in it but the straps persuade it pretty easily.

I need to taper the front pretty well but am not sure on whether to taper it to a knife edge or leave a bit. Wouldn't want to leave too much, maybe 1/8". Thanks again guys for the input.

Dougster

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:23 pm

I glued some ipe on the GF18 I built. Based on research. I first cleaned it with acetone, then flamed the glue edge lightly with a propane torch. It hasn't come off yet :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:45 pm

Man you're always a couple of bends in the road ahead of me Larry. I tapered it, cleaned it real well with acetone, and glued it down this afternoon. I bet it works. Heck, it's not much of a skeg at 1" tall and 1" wide :roll:

I found some old West fairing mix from very long ago and will use it to fill some of the weave and save on Quickfair. As for the IPE, I'm not thinking it needs a metal shoe. She'll not be running 30mph into a reef. If the skeg ever needs work it'd be easy to roll the trailer onto some grass, pull the boat off and roll her over to repair.

Flamed with Propane :!: :!: Wouldn't want to Dougster that.

Dougster

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:03 am

Ipe is a very oily wood and what I'm told is the flaming removes the surface oils.

No, you won't need a metal shoe. They don't call ipe ironwood without good reason :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

topwater

Post by topwater » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:09 am

You don't have to worry about starting a fire either , it has a fire rating of concrete :lol:
Novi 23 finally launched !