SOBX Solo Flats Skiff SK14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BrianC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

SOBX Solo Flats Skiff SK14

Post by BrianC » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:16 pm

Starting a Solo Flats Skiff SK14 build here on the coast of NC - just at the southern end of the outer banks.

Built a quick jig to hold the hull during zipping - mirror image of frames D & B

Brian

"...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

BrianC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: SOBX Solo Flats Skiff SK14

Post by BrianC » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:26 pm

I started a few days ago - a quick catch up, part 1:

laying it all out - getting started:

I used a couple of 4'x8' foam sheets under the plywood (as others recommended) - this make cutting easier:

I found that not all the dimensions are from baseline:

Here is the detail - the dimension is 199 mm(179+20) from baseline, not 179mm:

Using the 199 mm dimension, it is nice and fair (would bow in using 179):

Here it is all marked out:
Brian

"...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

BrianC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BrianC » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:38 pm

continuing the catch up, part 2 -

Cutting using a small circular trim saw - any time there were two mirror image parts, I stacked the plywood and pinned with a few finishing nails so they'd be the same shape:

I made a small fixture to mark out equal spaced zip tie holes:

I did the splicing in two stages - first the epoxy 'glue' then the 6 oz. cloth after the glue set:

Here it is loosely stitched:

Beginning the tightening:

I couldn't get it into proper shape when it was in the improvised jig - moved it to the floor, shimming to get it aligned, and all was good:

A view from the bow, all epoxy fillet tacks in place:

Back near the transom, there really wasn't much of a gap for the fillet/glue so I used small fiberglass tabs:

Tomorrow the zip ties come off and full fillets will be applied.
Last edited by BrianC on Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:31 pm

Brian, really nice progress!! Keep the photos coming!! Jeff

bateau-webmaster
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bateau-webmaster » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:30 am

Very nice Jigsaw Work, almost looks like a CNC Kit!
Jamie Fisk
Order Desk, Webmaster
Boat Builder Central, Bateau

BrianC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BrianC » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:10 pm

The saw is a Rockwell RK3440K VersaCut Circular Saw - it has a 3 3/8" dia. blade and can make cuts up to 1 1/8" deep. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the Rockwell RK3441K Compact Circular Saw - it has a 4 1/2" dia. blade. The down side of the VersaCut is that it is a bit hard to see where it is cutting - the other one is more open around the front edge of the blade. The VersaCut is also designed for plunge cutting - the blade can be slowly lowered down into the wood. I found this to make cutting harder so I removed one of the guide bearings on each side and replaced them with a stack of lock washers - this allows the saw to be locked to a particular depth. The small diameter of the blade made following the curves quite easy although I had to cut twice when cutting the arc on the transom (23.5" radius).
Brian

BrianC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BrianC » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:27 pm

Today was the start of filleting - 68°F mid-day so it was a great day to do this for the first time. First got all the zip ties off and taped the underside of all the seams. Then I moved the hull back to the saw horses so that it was at a better working height. Next, I painted all the surfaces that will get fillets with neat epoxy.

I donned a dust mask and made my own fillet mix by premixed 1 part fumed silica (aka Cabosil) to 2 parts wood flour (both by volume). I mixed up 6 oz. batches of epoxy, added the fillet mix to peanut butter consistency, scooped it into a freezer ziplock bag (tip reinforced with packing tape - another good tip from this board!), cut the tip and then piped it along the hull seams, stringers, and frames.

I used a piece of PVC pipe with ~1" diameter to form the fillet and used an oversized wood popsicle stick to scrape off the overage. Also filled any unfilled stitch holes. I only got the back 1/3 done - this is going to take a few days! (or maybe I'll get faster!)

A couple of pictures:
Brian

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:41 pm

Looking good 8), don't forget to clean or sand the already epoxy painted surfaces next time your at it, unless you have blush free epoxy that is.

BrianC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BrianC » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:15 am

Thanks Peter - it is low blush but just in case I've gone ahead and given it a quick sanding before each layer.

Yesterday was day 2 of the inside filleting - here are a few pictures.

The first one show the piping bag (just a freezer ziplock with tip reinforced with packing tap), PVC pipe fillet forming 'tool', and a wooden mixing stick AKA tongue depressor used to scrap up the overages. As others have recommended, I quickly piped out the epoxy fillet putty so that it wouldn't kick off in the bag:

The next photo is the fillets after smoothing and scraping up the excess:

I hope to finish up the filleting today and get started on the inside fiberglass tape. The plans call for tap just on the keel, bow, and around the transom. I may go ahead and do the chines as well.
Brian

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:07 am

Nice looking fillets :!:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose