• Sponsored By:

Flared Bow on C19

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.

Flared Bow on C19

Postby TomD » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:45 pm

Is there anyway to create a flaired bow on the C19 (or similar plans) like the CS boats or is this just ridiculous and damn near impossible without major changes to the design?
TomD
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Sponsored By:

Register to see less of these.

Re: Flaired Bow on C19

Postby TomW » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:05 pm

it's not real easy as your changing the amount of wood you'll need in both the vertical and horizontal directions if you don't want a droopy bow. You also need to figure out how many slits you need to make for it to make the curve. These will run from basically frame B to the bow. You have to redo frame A and the front deck. Frame A will be your shaping frame or the one that you use to shape the flare.

I'm not saying it can't be done, a couple of people have done it and had it come out looking good, but, not many attempt it.
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy
TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Postby gstanfield » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:30 pm

I would like to see it as well, maybe JM will add it to his to-do list one day :D I'm not in the market now as money is too tight for another build, but there are three companies that I know of who make plans for a "Carolina Style" in the 18-20 foot range. I'll not reference them of course, since this is Mr Mertens forum but my point is that there is apparently a market for them and I wonder how much trouble it would be for a designer to take an exsisting hull (like the C series) and redraw it for the broken sheerline and flared bow of the CS style. All of the mods would be above waterline so it souldn't be as much work as designing one from scratch.

Then again, I doubt he'll work on it anytime soon as there are many good fishing boat designs already in the plans catalog without adding more for what is mostly aesthetics.

George
gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Postby sitandfish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:45 pm

TomD wrote:Is there anyway to create a flaired bow on the C19 (or similar plans) like the CS boats or is this just ridiculous and damn near impossible without major changes to the design?

If I was going to modify a boat the size of a C19 I think I would first build a model with the intended change and then mock up the bow panels from inexpensive (cheaper than marine plywood :wink: ) plywood. You can then use the mocked up panels for templates for the more expensive plywood. My thoughts.
sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Postby TomW » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:34 pm

S&F that is the way I'd do it. It would take 4 sheets of Luan to mock it up on the C19. The four side pieces 8' long at the front.

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy
TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Postby TomD » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Well its good to know that it is possible it would seem. Do you know who has attempted this in the C series? I do like that flared bow look but I am also aware from previous builds how much faster and simpler it is to stick to the plans! Would love to learn from someone elses mistakes on this one!
TomD
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Postby TomW » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:20 pm

Tom no one has done it on a C series that I am aware of.

I thought of doing it but decided it was to many calcs with what I was already doing. I am making it straight in stead of with a camber out.

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy
TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Postby jacquesmm » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:25 pm

It's not that difficult.
To avoid the droopy bow, you must use a bow mold or a batten to fair the sheer.
To create the flare, cut the last mold (A) to the camber you want then, cut slits in the last 4 or 5' of the side panel.
That's all.

Keep in mind that the only benefit is aesthetic.
It will deflect sprays, sprays happen further back.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TomD » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:59 pm

Jaques will I have to change the shape of the top edge of the side panel to prevent the droopy bow? How far apart would I have to cut the slits and how deep - I assume these would be vertical slits?

When you get a chance could you give a slightly more detailed description? Thanks very much
TomD
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Postby Steven » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:21 pm

TomD wrote:Jaques will I have to change the shape of the top edge of the side panel to prevent the droopy bow? How far apart would I have to cut the slits and how deep - I assume these would be vertical slits?

When you get a chance could you give a slightly more detailed description? Thanks very much

They would be horizontal slits. How many and how far apart will depend on how extreme the flare is. If I were doing it I would add a lot to the sheer side of the forward side panels when I cut them out. More then needed so I could cut it down to a fair after creating the flare. Probably need to add some length too. Nesting for the side panels will not work as in the plans. At least not for the forward parts.
Steven
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Next

Return to Power Boats