• Sponsored By:

FS12 Prospective Build Questions

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.

FS12 Prospective Build Questions

Postby bigisland » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi all, I have some questions regarding the FS12. First off is there still a CNC kit available? There is not the option on the product page for the plywood kit, but I have seen mention of it elsewhere...

Also, in this size boat I would appreciate people's opinion on the following. I would like to build a small light boat for putting around (5-6hp outboard) and some light fishing. I've used 14-18ft aluminum skiffs before but am not sure about the stability of the smaller 12' boats. First off, in this size boat would I be better served with the jon style boat, or would something like the FS12 be fine? 12' is a nice size because a 5-6hp motor should push it nicely, though probably not planing, but would take up minimal garage space.

I would also like to hear other peoples experience with boats this size and there general performance with the size motor mentioned.

Your opinions are much appreciated!
bigisland
New Poster
New Poster

Sponsored By:

Register to see less of these.

Re: FS12 Prospective Build Questions

Postby shine » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:52 pm

First off is there still a CNC kit available? There is not the option on the product page for the plywood kit, but I have seen mention of it elsewhere...

its there, right under the epoxy kits. Here is a direct link...

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=FS12_CNC

Also, in this size boat I would appreciate people's opinion on the following. I would like to build a small light boat for putting around (5-6hp outboard) and some light fishing. I've used 14-18ft aluminum skiffs before but am not sure about the stability of the smaller 12' boats. First off, in this size boat would I be better served with the jon style boat, or would something like the FS12 be fine? 12' is a nice size because a 5-6hp motor should push it nicely, though probably not planing, but would take up minimal garage space.

it will probably not plane unless your a very, very light

If its not going to plane, then you would be better off with a displacement hull like the FL 14. You will go about the same speed but have more room. It is also cheaper to build.

If you want to plane, then find a slightly lager motor and build the FS12
shine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS12 Prospective Build Questions

Postby bigisland » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have no idea how I missed not seeing the CNC kit...maybe I had it confused with the GF12 which does not have one.
bigisland
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Power Boats