FS12 Prospective Build Questions

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
bigisland
New Poster
New Poster

FS12 Prospective Build Questions

Postby bigisland » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi all, I have some questions regarding the FS12. First off is there still a CNC kit available? There is not the option on the product page for the plywood kit, but I have seen mention of it elsewhere...

Also, in this size boat I would appreciate people's opinion on the following. I would like to build a small light boat for putting around (5-6hp outboard) and some light fishing. I've used 14-18ft aluminum skiffs before but am not sure about the stability of the smaller 12' boats. First off, in this size boat would I be better served with the jon style boat, or would something like the FS12 be fine? 12' is a nice size because a 5-6hp motor should push it nicely, though probably not planing, but would take up minimal garage space.

I would also like to hear other peoples experience with boats this size and there general performance with the size motor mentioned.

Your opinions are much appreciated!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS12 Prospective Build Questions

Postby tech_support » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:52 pm

First off is there still a CNC kit available? There is not the option on the product page for the plywood kit, but I have seen mention of it elsewhere...

its there, right under the epoxy kits. Here is a direct link...

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=FS12_CNC

Also, in this size boat I would appreciate people's opinion on the following. I would like to build a small light boat for putting around (5-6hp outboard) and some light fishing. I've used 14-18ft aluminum skiffs before but am not sure about the stability of the smaller 12' boats. First off, in this size boat would I be better served with the jon style boat, or would something like the FS12 be fine? 12' is a nice size because a 5-6hp motor should push it nicely, though probably not planing, but would take up minimal garage space.

it will probably not plane unless your a very, very light

If its not going to plane, then you would be better off with a displacement hull like the FL 14. You will go about the same speed but have more room. It is also cheaper to build.

If you want to plane, then find a slightly lager motor and build the FS12

bigisland
New Poster
New Poster

Re: FS12 Prospective Build Questions

Postby bigisland » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have no idea how I missed not seeing the CNC kit...maybe I had it confused with the GF12 which does not have one.

Return to “Power Boats”