Southeastern Builders Meet, 13th-15th, 2013 @ Sebastian?

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Southeastern Boat Builders Meet 2013

Post by Cracker Larry » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:50 pm

You can fly east forever, but if you fly far enough south, you'll be heading north again :lol:

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Royce
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Royce » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Obviously, I missed an opportunity to be offended but no offense taken :doh: . I was just responding to the first part of the thread where Jacques and Peter mentioned having the meet in the panhandle area. Orange Beach AL sits on the AL/FL line, right next door to Pensacola. Best I can tell, its in the Southeast :D . Anyway, no big deal. Sounds like an opportunity to start another boat meet if enough folks desire. I love going to South Florida too.
Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING –absolutely nothing– half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Grahame, "Wind in the Willow"

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:07 pm

Sorry Royce, and I reckon that Alabama is indeed in the Southeast :D Just not what comes to mind for us on the SE coast. I'm glad you took no opportunity to take offense, and I know that you drove all the way to Boca Grande last year too 8) It's about the same distance for me to drive to Alabama as it is to Boca Grande, and a couple hundred further to the Keys. Have boat, will travel 8)
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Royce
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Royce » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:24 pm

No problem Larry. Just so we're all clear - here's how we see it from here :D Savannah and all points east of us - You are on the East Coast. All points from Tampa Florida South - You are in South Florida. That may not be correct, but that's what it looks like from the northern gulf coast... :D Proceed with planning the 2013 Boat Builders Meet.
Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING –absolutely nothing– half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Grahame, "Wind in the Willow"

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:22 am

There are a half dozen other places in Sebastian that offer efficiencies on the water with docks. Hirams is the biggest with a hotel and a restaurant.

Sebastian has a few things going for it: Big lagoon with plenty of spoil islands for exploring, inlet with very good fishing, relatively close to good offshore fishing, not too expensive. A big sandbar for meet/party/festivities. There some really nice spoil island that are already set up with fire pits, tables, and even a rope swing or two. There is also the Sebastian river (different from the lagoon) with a lot of jungle to explore. The inlet state park is also very pretty.

Bad news is we have had an algae bloom in the Indian river that has killed off a lot of the sea grass beds in that area. The Sebastian inlet is too small a mouth to flush it all out, its very sad. Places I used to catch crazy big redfish and trout are now mud bottom. Don't get me wrong, there are still fish there, but its just not the paradise I found when I moved there. Further south (Vero, Ft. Pierce) its much better, there is a big/deep inlet to feed clean water to the sea grass.

I would be in favor of a panhandle'ish destination as well.

The meet we had in Jacksonville was actually pretty well attended too.

If its in Sebastian/Vero are, then we have the option of doing somethign in own shop (if thats of any interest)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:46 am

To do something in our shop is a good idea.
We could have a workshop session about building a small boat, showing all the basics or maybe building a small boat.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:58 am

I will toss another idea out there. If its held around here, E-Boat would take what it would cost Jacques and I in travel, and invest it back into the event.

Sebastian (town) has a public dock, right next to public ramp, just south from Hirams. There are pavilions and grills/bathrooms as well.

Over on the beach side, the inlet state park has the same type facilities.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:08 am

Sounds good to me 8)

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:39 am

Okay so it's between Sebastian and Pensacola areas?

If it is in Sebastian I think Capt Hiram's is a great place to stay in Vero beach maybe Joel and/or Jacques can help us out find a similar place like Hirams

For the Pensacola area so far I found the following places
Marina Bay Resort @ Fort Walton Beach
New World Landing two to three blocks from Palafox pier
This one for Jacques and others with RV's
http://www.heritageorangebeach.com/

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:43 am

All I know is that this won't be the 4th meet without a Bateau boat for me! I think by 4 meets without finishing a boat, I would be talked about... :lol:
I'm voting against anything west of Big Bend, or North of Jacksonville. Destin is beautiful, but it's at least 10 hours driving from here. Just my 1 vote, but I certainly won't complain, as others have come from much farther away. Vero area sounds good, also.
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.