V10, October 2015, Tony Johnson

Post your launchings here. Please keep the to plan/date format
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

V10, October 2015, Tony Johnson

Post by terrulian » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:44 am

I dinged it before I even got the boat out of the shop. :? 8O :oops: I had rigged a scale, and dropped it leaving about a 1/8" hole in the interior paint. The boat weighed in at 120, which is less than I feared but still kind of a load. After assembly with one layer of glass over the bottom not required in the plans, it weighed about 92 with the seats just placed aboard. So the other 28 pounds is from glassing the seat tops, gunnels, knees, and breasthook (all not required in the plans), plus fairing, paint, oarlocks, cleat, and hatch covers.

However, I will say that after today I am very glad I glassed the bottom and gunnels. We launched on a gravel beach at China Camp, a state park that was home to an old Chinese shrimping operation, so the stones took a toll, especially on the skeg which lost some epoxy/graphite paint. I'll be asking CL about his copper recommendation. And at one point in the day I drifted into an ancient marine railway from the defunct boatyard at the park. There are some scratches on the bottom.

However, the boat handled beautifully, turned on a dime and tracked with confidence. A sweet little craft in both aesthetics and performance.

Shall we take a breather, old buddy?

It did fit in the van after all.

Here she goes.

Video at https://youtu.be/_ztCVOzODY0.

BTW, I copied this into my build string. Don't know if that's the way it's done but otherwise that string is left hanging, as it were.
Last edited by terrulian on Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tony

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: V10, October 2015, Tony Johnson

Post by terrulian » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:46 am

It's time to thank all of you on the forum for your tips and encouragement. I can't say for sure which was more important but I'm going with encouragement. What a great bunch of people we have here.
And most of all, thanks to Jacques for his patience and wonderful designs. He has spread a lot of happiness in the world.
Tony

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:07 pm

TJ that is one fine looking skiff! I am sure you are going to get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
Now that you have dinged it you can go ahead and use it :lol:
Fuzz

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:22 am

Hi Tony,
Congratulations on the launching of your V10. On the movie one can see it rides the waves beautiful and that the rowing must be fun with it. You living near the water the splashing of a boat is most probably no sensation and I am disappointed that there were hardly any spectators. But if they had known what a lot of effort went into this beauty they would have turned out in masses like for a major ball game. The main thing is that we Bateau guys could share the build, the splashing and the happiness on your face about having built the most incredible V10.
Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:25 am

Congratulations Tony on a fine build! Michael. :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

pjb0949
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by pjb0949 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:34 am

The finish on your boat is impressive to say the least. It's obvious you take a great deal of pride in your work and have produced something to be very proud of. If I can do half as good on my RB18 I will be happy. Thanks for sharing your build adventure and enjoy your boat.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:30 am

I am disappointed that there were hardly any spectators.
Karl, actually there were plenty of people who would have shown up for the launch had I put out the word...but I had so little confidence about getting it the van that I didn't invite anyone for fear they'd show up to a non-event. My circumnagivator mate, Terry Shrode, is, however, as much company as any man would need. Our wives were there, too, plus Terry's hearty 89-year-old mother-in-law who insisted on coming after we confirmed we had it in my truck.

Also, as I said all along, it's a little bitter sweet to have the boat in the water because the build is finished and there's no one to visit in the shop. :cry:

Besides, you guys are more important--you understand what's involved. :wink:

Others will see the boat eventually.

I look forward to seeing you get yours in the water.
Tony

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:01 pm

Beautiful job Tony! It's an amazing feeling when you see it float :D I'm sure you'll get plenty more use, fun, and scratches in the future

Will

GV15 Complete, D4 in progress

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:39 am

Posting today on two counts.
First, it's been raining constantly here and as a result I've only had the boat out once, a couple of months ago, since the first day I launched it. Now, there are other excuses for not being on the water besides being intimidated by a few raindrops, including the fact that many things that had been ignored for the year and a half or so it took to complete the build needed to be attended to. So in lieu of rowing and in the anticipation of a more active spring when the weather breaks, I'm uploading the facsimile below:

Second, I wonder if I could prevail upon Jacques to confirm my status as "builder." I'm now known as a "very active poster," which in my case is all too close to "blabbermouth"--or a word that may be more even more appropriate, "blatherskite."
Tony

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:30 am

Beautiful boat 8)