V10, October 2015, Tony Johnson

Post your launchings here. Please keep the to plan/date format
peterrivers
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: V10, October 2015, Tony Johnson

Post by peterrivers » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:33 pm

Congratulations Tony, you have built a beautiful boat. You rub rail looks very nice, it will have to go to your build thread to see how you did it.
Enjoy it when your summer gets there!

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:22 pm

Congratulations! Beautiful! :D 8)

Have you rowed her out to the big boat yet? Are you going to tow her? More pictures! .... :D

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi, KS.

Check the link below and scroll down for the one and only adventure so far with the sailboat. We towed her out to the anchorage from her slip and then rowed ashore. She towed very easily and confidently using the bow eye and it made me wonder whether I could have gotten away without the bow eye and just used the cleat on the breasthook. The design leaves it up to the builder, but I was concerned that towing by the cleat may make her dive a bit in chop. I haven't experimented with towing with just the cleat yet...and anyway I'm not removing that bow eye after all the not particularly successful struggles to get it perfectly centered. :?

I also added a little brass runner on the skeg which you can see at the end of my string in he link below.

Another thing I haven't done is get the boat out of my van and launched without any assistance. I think I can make it work. I sure hope so...but I'm still waiting for some decent weather. :D

Our sailboat has been wasting away in her slip in San Francisco Bay while we take care of other business. A new development is that our mooring up at Tomales Bay, about 25 miles north of San Francisco, has come to the attention of the government. For a century no one bothered with regulating the moorings and although this could lead to problems, it has been mostly OK with everyone just looking after himself. But to be fair there have been a few dodgy examples of citizenship, I guess, and whereas before, the responsible party often would just disappear with the taxpayer taking care of the mess, now there will be a paper trail. There will be a large fee, an application, a photo of the boat, proof of ownership of the mooring, proof of registration and insurance, and a required annual inspection of the mooring. Some folks are freaking out but I am not the type to engage in a quixotic quest to fight city hall, or in this case the state of California. Anyway, we are still in the paperwork and inspection stages and I hope to have that completed in a month or two. In late spring or summer we'll haul the sailboat boat up there and see if we can get into some trouble with the new dinghy. :doh: I shall attempt to document appropriately, and of course tastefully.

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=450
Tony

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:27 am

Great build! One very beautiful boat. Your finish appears to be impecable. I am thinking of building a truck loadable boat to fish a couple of small lakes with no real boat ramp access to fish with my small grandsons(5 and 9 yrs. old). Could this boat handle a small trolling motor and is it stable enough to stand up in? Hope you enjoy your boat when time and weather allows. John

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:50 am

cottontop wrote:. . . Could this boat handle a small trolling motor and is it stable enough to stand up in? . . .
From the designer: yes and yes. The plans show a small clamping board fort motors up to 5 HP but a 1.5 or a trolling motor is ideal.
Yes, you can stand up in it once you get used to the boat. I see people standing up in canoes around here.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:59 am

John,
I didn't build mine for a motor that but it would have been very easy. I'm sure a trolling motor would be no problem, and you may be able to handle that without doubling the transom but just by putting a wide pad for the motor. My guess is it may be a little tippy to stand up in for an extended time but I haven't tried really tried it except getting in and out. I'm sure Jacques would have a better answer for both of these questions.
The plans call for the boat to weigh somewhere around 85 pounds. I think you could cartop it at that weight. You would probably be able to build it that light but as Jacques will tell you, this is not taking into account the weight of fairing materials or covering the seats, knees, breasthook, bottom and gunnels with a layer of glass, which I did. The weight of my boat came out to 120 as a result. I wish it were lighter but on the other hand, I felt the boat would take more of a beating. That said, so what? You have some more scratches. I don't think it would be the least bit flimsy without the additional steps I took.
I built it as a rowboat and haven't had much time to do any extensive rowing yet but the first couple of times out I was very happy with her.

PS Jacques beat me, and obviously he is the authority.
Tony

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:10 am

Thanks Terrulian: multiple opinions and reviews from the builders are always welcome.
I see that we agree on standing up in her: you must get used to her first but it is very possible.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:30 pm

Thank you Tony. :)

Hoping your north mooring adventure resolves favorably for you soon.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:13 pm

Cheers All;
A few more comments on my V10 build after having taken her out a few times now:
1) I have no problem doing 2.5 knots, rowing in a steady relaxed stroke without much effort, and it is easy to hit 3+ if you want to bear down. This is with 8 foot oars in nearly flat water and very light wind.
2) I'm very happy I glassed the bottom. It is really taking a beating on rocky beaches and I have no concerns about gouging down to bare wood. Same is true on the seats and gunwales that I also glassed. Funny how easily you can ding stuff.
3) I'm also glad I didn't go for the expensive paint. For many builders who launch from a trailer and can use fenders in a slip, this would be appropriate. But little boats like this get trashed and mine has already suffered some scratches that would be very upsetting with a $$$ paint job.
4) The graphite/epoxy bottom is fairly durable but the added brass strip on the skeg is really standing up well. After the first day launching the boat on a gravelly beach, the epoxy on the skeg had been pretty much erased.Image
5) The boat is heavy, at about 120 pounds, with the glassing mentioned above adding quite a bit of weight. However, I use a dinghy dolly like the one pictured (note the large diameter wheels for rough terrain) and have managed to figure out how to maneuver the boat in and out of my van and launch/retrieve it by myself. Image
Tony

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:16 pm

Hi Tony,
Its a pleasure looking again and again at the splashing pictures of your lovely boat. I like your dinghy dolly which seems to have a stand that prevents one wheel movement and when you pull it sideways the stand goes inside and you can roll on both wheels.
I hope I interpreted correctly what I saw on the picture. Because I built my rowing boat so heavy I also made myself a dolly on three wheels and a handle in front to pull the whole ( also too heavily built ) concoction. Finally I decided to buy a trailer for the AD14 I am building and have used it quite a few times for the rowing boat last summer driving with it nicely into the water at a nice concrete slip which the fire department built at the river. They never ever had to rescue anyone out of the river but they got a small boat with a 5hp outboard and the slip with me being the only user.
The heavy weights of boats had me thinking of how I transport the FS13 which I am building besides AD14. I think I will use a nice light sack barrow which I have in the shed for ages attach it at the transom and lift the bow and pulling it on its 2 wheels. When I am at the water the sack barrow slides with its bottom into 2 wooden rails on the sole of the boat and acts as a grab rail which is designed for the FS13.
I wish you lots of fun rowing the V10 in this coming spring and dont be shy of posting more pictures of your lovely V10. Here the weather does not permit rowing yet so I watched the Oxford Cambridge boat race on London Themse this afternoon.
Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433