D15 Completed

Post your launchings here. Please keep the to plan/date format
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: D15 Completed

Post by jacquesmm » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:01 pm

Thanks for the report and the video.
Others will give their opinion about an SS prop but it can only get better with it.

Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Walkers Run » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:17 am

That's just cool right there. Very nice job on the boat!
Now get some fish blood on it.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo

94'325is
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by 94'325is » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:39 am

Nice job on the finish, boat looks great!

jwassdo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jwassdo » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:54 pm

The boat looks terrific. It looks better than factory.

This is the first I've heard of Tiny Tach. I'm going to try to use one on my boat. I may be able to improve my gas mileage with a different prop. This is an example of why these forums are so useful.

The nonskid on that boat looks premium.

Jeff

cvincent
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cvincent » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:38 pm

Thank you all for the compliments on my boat.

For the kiwigrip application, I taped off areas with 3M green automotive tape. I used a razor blade to cut the radius around corners. If using the razor blade technique, be careful not to apply to much pressure and cut through the paint. I used a cheap chip brush to evenly spread the kiwigrip, then roll with loopy goopy roller. I pulled the tape immediately after working on a section.

When painting with EMC, I did roll and tip, but I took another step of wet sanding and buffing. Wet sand with 1000, 1500, 2000, buffed with Meguires Mirror Glaze 100 (pro speed compound) and Mequires Mirror Glaze 205 (Ultra Finishing Polish). I have a production Gelcoat Boat and I find it hard to believe, but the finish on this little boat appears to look better than the finish on production boat. I spent many hours fairing, sanding, and buffing. You can buff this paint very aggressively, it is very hard after curing for 3-4 days. I found the finish work was by the far the most labor intensive part of building this boat.

With the recommendation of a local prop shop I purchased a stainless powertech TLR3 10 x 10 propeller. I have not had the opportunity yet to try running the boat with the new propeller.
Completed D15, Building PH18

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:02 am

I used a razor blade to cut the radius around corners. If using the razor blade technique, be careful not to apply to much pressure and cut through the paint.
This causes big problems with the paint down the road, and one that my OD18 has. It's hard to avoid cutting through the paint on the radius's.

My buddy Raymond taught me a really neat trick, he helped Rogerdog and I with doing the non-skid on the GF18. I always learn something from Raymond.

Instead of applying and cutting the tape directly on the painted deck, Raymond taught me to use a piece of slick acrylic plastic or a slick finished cardboard box. He covers the surface of the plastic (or slick box) completely with tape. Then uses whatever object ( bottle cap, jar, paint can, whatever makes desired radius) and draws out a lot of corners on the tape, however many and size you need, 50 or so in this case. Then he cuts them all out with a razor knife on the cardboard. From there it is just peel and stick for every corner. Tape all your straight lines first, then just peel and stick the corners. No cuts in the paint 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cvincent
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cvincent » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:00 pm

Thank you Larry for the tip with cutting the radius. I will have to use that advice in the future on my next build.
Completed D15, Building PH18

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:31 pm

cvincent wrote:Thank you Larry for the tip with cutting the radius. I will have to use that advice in the future on my next build.
Same here. Thats a new one on me to :!:
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:06 pm

Amazing what you can learn by just reading this forum.
Thanks to all who share.
Fuzz

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:25 pm

If we had to rely on one persons learning ability, we would probably still be using stone tools. It is the sharing of knowledge that makes us better every day. Nobody knows it all, but little pieces of it all put together makes us all better.

If you didn't learn at least something today, you've wasted it.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose