Adelie16 from a land down under

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Adelie16 from a land down under

Post by ks8 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:53 pm

The second picture is now my screen background for this week. 8)

Then it goes back to this...

From the movie Joe vs the Volcano, in the style of some sailing paintings and drawings found in some funeral homes... what is wrong with this picture? No, its not the media player controls - that's only sloppy editing. There is something else VERY wrong. :lol:

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:49 pm

The moon is upside down.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:21 pm

Why is that, Larry? I really get confused about the moon phases even though I've spent some time contemplating it. Here's a series of pictures on the phases. You'll see that #4, a waxing crescent, is approximately what you see in the painting:

Maybe the problem is that the moon is on the other side of the boat, but the moonlight seems to be shining on the side of the jib and staysail that is towards us?
I like this puzzle.
Last edited by terrulian on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tony

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:28 pm

Or how about this? We can't see the starboard sidelight, which should appear green from this angle, but we can see the sternlight, which we shouldn't be able to see at all...how about that?
Tony

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:52 pm

And she has no mast head light. Red over green is a sailing machine.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:13 pm

In the movie, if I remember, the sternlight was an all around lantern. Tricky. I don't recall if in that scene the boat was motor sailing or not, but yes, some lights are missing or technically incorrect. That, however, is something wrong with the lights on the boat, and not exactly something wrong with the *picture*. :lol: My bad. I wasn't clear enough. But good catch on the starboard light too. However, there is something wrong with the picture, if you will, a depiction of a violation of the laws of nature. Larry caught one, Tony the other. It does have to do with the moon, but again, a little tricky, with two possible observations...

1- We're looking at a moon in crescent, in which case it is upside down. Think of a sphere lit partially from a point source of light. If the white portion is being lit by another source of light, resulting in that shape, then where should that source of light be located in this case? Up and to the right, *beyond the moon*. In which case, if that is where the sun is located, just out of the frame of the picture, then it should be broad daylight. Even if there were black clouds in front of the sun ray path to the boat, putting the boat in a surreal large dark shadow (I've seen this sort of thing), the sunlight should still be making the rest of the sky bright shining blue where there are no clouds, yet some stars are visible. So, the *crescent moon*, if it is a crescent moon, is upside down.

2- OR -- We're looking at a solar eclipse, which might also explain the shape in the sky. The picture doesn't show any crater detail on the object, so it *might* be a solar eclipse (in a lunar eclipse the earth's shadow is never that clear a shape on the moon). Since I make no mention of the movie's context at this point, it *might* be a solar eclipse, and if that is the case, then what is wrong with it? This is more subtle, for if that is the case, then the lighting on the jib isn't quite right. The starboard side has bright highlights even though the light source is on the port side. Tony caught that one. The boat should be pointed closer to the eclipse for that sort of lighting to happen on the sails. And if it is a solar eclipse, that is far too much sun showing to make the sky that dark with stars visible.

But the greater question... why is it that the majority of funeral homes I have been in, have had those wind direction or other detail sailboat puzzle paintings or drawings in the lobby or down in the waiting area? There might be smoke from a smoke stack, and a wind blown flag clearly showing a particular strong wind direction, while half the sails are set correctly, and the other boats are either backwards or hove to, but have a bone in their teeth anyway. Or are close hauled but heeled the wrong way? A customer of years ago had a nice print in his living room with a very subtle moon problem. I missed it until he pointed it out, and it was a tough one to spot. I don't even remember what it was now, but once pointed out, it was glaring. :lol: I think he liked spotting these things too. He had other paintings for seaside locations he knew, where the moon or sun was definitely painted on the wrong side of the sky, where it could never be, but those are tough to spot if one is not so well traveled, or otherwise unfamiliar with the geography of the location.

Maybe it is simply an odd correlation in the universe, of people I know, and the decorators of funeral homes where those I knew are remembered when they pass out of this world, that these types of paintings are so often there. If so, that's one freaky odd correlation! If you spot me starring at a sailboat painting in a funeral home or restaurant, you know what I'm looking for. :LOL: Its mostly due to knowing that some of these paintings are done that way deliberately -- or -- that it is accidental, and funeral home owners or decorators are unaware of such details? Yes, another profound mystery of life......

But then again... :lol: The very first time I took my CV16 out for a sail, the winds around and over Falls Lake were such that they made a big circular wind pattern over the entire basin. The hills and geography created a pattern of fans that enabled me to make one of the rounds around the basin without ever tacking or gybing. There was another sailboat out that day. If someone had snapped a picture and then made a painting, it might have been a painting of a wind situation that might seem impossible, by the ways the sails were set, and the directions of the boats, but was actually a very unusual wind pattern over the basin. At least the sun and moon were where they belong! :lol:

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:56 pm

I need to give this a little more study, but it's late. More tomorrow.
Tony

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:55 am

Or it may be that it needs no more study at all! But that could be the wee hours speaking.... :lol:

I hope the tangent on your thread was alright Salvatore... compatible with pizza? :)

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:38 pm

ks,
In regard to #1: I always thought this was obvious but then was somehow confused (and still am) by the notion that the moon appears upside down in the southern hemisphere. If I think about it too long my mind starts flipping around like a wounded snake, and the "obvious" part disappears. I still believe you're right, however...but can't be sure I can visualize it beyond the "obvious," that the sun must be above the horizon for the crescent to appear on the upper limb of the moon.

Also, you seem to spend too much time looking at paintings in funeral parlors. 8O That said, I think the great maritime artists usually know enough to get the details right, and take pride in that.
Tony

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:53 pm

What else can we deduce? She is running almost dead down wind with main and mizzen set for a starboard tack, but jib and stay sails are both set for port tack. I wouldn't have rigged it that way for that wind. I would set the main and mizzen wing and wing, and put at least one head sail on a whisker pole. Both head sails appear to be luffing, they are not set right. And the moon light is shining on the wrong side of the sail, and she needs some running lights, and I don't care what ya'll say, that moon is upside down :D