CV16 Caravelle - KS8 - more pictures added

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: CV16 Caravelle - KS8 - more pictures added

Post by ks8 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:29 pm

More of the same. More pictures when I install the hatch ring and finish the hatch details.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:42 am

Bilge Boxes 20131122

Of course, before reducing the size of the hatch opening with the hatch ring, first, trace a mirror image of the hatch cutout onto the port slant face for later, so that, in theory, both sides will have matching hatches. Then back to working on the hatch ring for the starboard side.

Image9392 BB49

I didn't make huge sloppy relief cuts for cutting out the center of the hatch ring. I'm going to use the scrap on the inside of the hatch instead. Why throw it out when I can make the boat heavier with it. :lol: Actually, it makes the thickness of the hatch the same as the panel with the hatch ring, just right for the functioning of a locking latch.

Image9393 BB50

Then clean up the cut edges to make room for the sealing epoxy and finish system. A very important step if one wants it to fit nicely after everything is painted. Too loose and sloppy, and it will rattle. Too tight and it might get stuck if the hatch swells the slightest bit.

Image9395 BB51

Line the hatch ring up and clamp it in place. Not glued yet.

Image9397 BB52

Secure it with some masking tape, so that holes can be drilled for the screws that will lock it in place for the cure.

Image9396 BB53

They only screw about 1/4 inch into the front face, so the 'pre-drill' holes were not drilled all the way through the face, only the hatch ring was all the way through. After measuring the screw, they are screwed into the pre-drilled screw holes, just far enough to go 1/4 inch into the face and get a good hold. Pre-drilling helps prevent the thin plywood from being damaged by the screws. I used the cheapie drill press, that I am appreciating more each time I use it. :)

Image9399 BB54

Removed and ready to goop it up. The screws are left partly protruding to help in aligning the ring solidly for the bond, before tightening them up. When they get tightened up, it will, again, be just enough to go 1/4 inch into the face. Of course, if these hatch rings were on a horizontal surface where the hatches might be stepped on, these hatch rings would be much thicker with much more surface of them surrounding the hatch opening. Since these are on a slant, I could make them just big enough to hold the hatch in place, and maybe be able to take an accidental kick or two. These hatches do not seal off a dry locker or buoyancy chamber so their structural strength is not critical.

Image9400 BB55

Neat epoxy on the ring (on the proper side!), and neat epoxy on the proper area of the inside of the face, before the wood flour blend goop goes on.

Image9401 BB56

Position it lightly, letting the protruding screws lock it into alignment. Then tighten the screws only 1/4 inch into the front face piece. Smooth and distribute oozed fillet material sensibly on both sides. Almost all excess needs to be wiped out of the *live* hatch space, so it will not interfere with the fit of the hatch to the hatch ring.

Image9402 BB57

Inner ooze is all cleared out, leaving only a very thin layer of the neat epoxy to cure on the hatch ring working surface. The screws are removed carefully, after about 3/4 of cure time, when the fillets barely take a fingernail mark, so that the screws come out reasonably trauma free. No fear of the ring slipping out of position at that point.

Image9405 BB58

Fixing an official *opps*. Earlier, I had cut the top plate on an angle on the wrong side :doh: , so its time to glue that back on, with some creative rigging for the job. Glad I had saved the scraps until the assemblies are complete. Done.

Image9406 BB59

Finished glassing the starboard components. Made the VHF mount plate, drilled its holes for three different positions, and glassed it. On position is clearly visible from the port helm, one from starboard, and one centered. The VHF has GPS and a waypoint compass feature, to clearly indicate relative direction to the next waypoint. If the other GPS ever goes down, I want to be able to easily see this VHF based GPS 'compass arrow' from either helm position, at an optimal viewing angle. Going to do the same thing with the fishy finder on top of the port bilge box, giving it three viewing angles. Now ready to do the final fit and tweaking on the starboard box components and VHF mount. The port side will get finished up after thanksgiving most likely. I'd like the starboard side and VHF mount done and in place, functional (even if not yet painted) before then. We'll see ....

Seems like one is endlessly sealing edges when building the smaller removable assemblies. It's not always easy to plan epoxy sessions this near to completion, that make the best use of every bit of every mixed batch with the least waste, even when mixing 3/4 ounce batches with the syringes. I may look for even smaller syringes to mix very small edge sealing batches that are only 3/8 of an ounce. I can do it with these syringes, but it is really pushing it with acceptable accuracy. A syringe with half this barrel diameter, and snipping the nozzle way back, would be much better for those very small batches.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:42 pm

Six months of busys. Mixing epoxy again. Back to sealing edges. Not many left. :)

Ordered primer last wednesday near closing time. Tripped over it at the front door that friday morning. Works for me. Thank you Bateau. :D

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:21 am

Hi ks8. I hope everyone is doing well. I always like to see what you're up to when you get some new pictures.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:56 am

Thank you bondo,
I'll post when there is something new to show. :)

Lots of paperwork, but I won't epoxy that, and it sure isn't picture worthy. :|

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:40 am

Ordered SilverTip Epoxy on October 9. October 10 it was at the front door! :)

Yes, I live only across the state, but it does show that the Bateau folks, having it in stock, processed and boxed it the same day. Thank you much Joel. :D

Unrelated question:

:?: The SilverTip Bottle says it can be re-coated up to 72 hours later, without sanding. Has anyone ever pushed it that far?

I've pushed it confidently to 24 hours, but I'm a little nervous to go to 72 hours for a re-coat, without sanding it first. It sure would be nice to not have to sand, if I get delayed in the re-coat until close to 72 hours later. Any reports from anyone? :?:

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:51 pm

I'd still like to hear from someone about the 72 hour period... :?:

But this time around I sanded it again. It had some sharp peaks, from small stubborn splinters of wood, to sand down anyway. But I'd like to hear if there has been good success with re-coating up to 72 hours later, without sanding. :)

I'd post pictures, but this is not the boat -- just another side project (plywood) that will sit on the tropical ground of Florida, so it is getting a good seal. The pressure treated wood label says *Not for ground contact*. I still remember that Doug Fir 2x4 I had laying in the mud for years up in NY,without a bit of rot or bugs or anything else but mud on it -- and that wasn't treated with anything. Florida is different. I don't even know if the epoxy will stop the creeping crud. We'll see. It will be sitting about 1/2 inch off the ground on sacrificial block feet, but in Florida that is just the same as in the grass and dirt (sand here).

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:01 am

KS i have only gone 48 hours between coats , never pushed it to 72 .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:33 am

I always sand between coats, even 24 hours.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:39 am

Thanks men. In this case, the current project is not a boat. Its a satellite dish portable mounting sled, so I am not concerned about human safety. But in the future, I will likely sand after 24 hours, especially if it is structural or a below the waterline seal coat. :)

If anyone else has thoughts or experiences on this, this question should not be considered closed out. Go ahead and share. :D