CV16 Caravelle - KS8 - more pictures added

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: CV16 Caravelle - KS8 - more pictures added

Post by Cracker Larry » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:08 am

I'd use pressure treated wood certified for ground contact. Otherwise it won't last very long.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:15 am

I mixed epoxy today. And used some sand paper on a piece of the boat. Had to break the ice. Had to say *ice* in this recent heat. Bought another fuel filter for the Merc. Will probably need it any day now. Want a spare in the locker always. Time to get another impeller too.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:35 pm

Cracker Larry wrote:I'd use pressure treated wood certified for ground contact. Otherwise it won't last very long.
Thanks CL. Yeah, I'm a bit late on the thank you. I've fallen behind a bit on the forum. :oops:

I used pressure treated for the sled. Made two of them. One just painted with outdoor white paint, the other epoxied and painted with *marine* paint. I've been using the outdoor paint sled for a year. No rot anywhere in the florida weather. No complaints. It is sitting on carefully leveled concrete stepping stones made as a *pad* for the sled. Been working fine. Maybe one day I'll finish the *good* epoxied version, and it will last fifty years???? I'll probably have to replace a tripod mounting mast before then.... :)

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:36 pm

CV16 -- MOF trailer touchup 20160220

Its that time again. After three years of being dunked in the GOM, and duly rinsed with fresh water afterwards, the rust has begun in several locations. The biggest concern is around the hubs and welds to the axle crossbar.

Image0039

There had been a few small patches of rust (about an inch in size), after a few years of dunking in the fresh water lakes of NC. This was where there had been *junk* in the manufacture such that the hot galvinize dip hadn't *taken* in those few spots. In NC I had wire brushed that off and painted with Rustoleum cold galvinizing paint. Those repairs have held up in the GOM saltwater, except one small area where a few flakes the size of a kernel of corn had popped off.

Image041

Now fixed again.

The main concern though is these hubs, the welds, and the leaf springs. Port side first. Wire brushed off and wiped down....

Image0040

I was relieved when I found it was only barely surface rust, that is to say, it was not deep pitted rust threatening the strength. Caught it in time! :) After the wipe down,wash and dry, per the Rustoleum prep instructions, it gets the first light coat. A little awkward in those tight spots (I didn't want to pull the wheel today), but got it covered.

top view
Image0046

underneath
Image0047

Out to do the second coat now. Then the front part of the leaf spring after shifting the jack around to get working room, etc. Tomorrow will be the starboard side, before the rain comes next week.

Here's the tools....

Image0045

Takes a little bit of time, but simple enough. And a good *peace of mind* maintenance. Other than these few little maintenance issues, the trailer is holding up very well. Thank you WESCO. :D

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:56 pm

I've been away for awhile. Isn't this boat finished yet? :D

cape man

Post by cape man » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:41 pm

They live a LONG time. That's the beauty of it.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:23 pm

:lol: Its been in service a long time. :) one day I'll put paint on the primer on the seats. the primer as held up well! :D

the trailer needed touchup because it too is being well used in the Gulf of Mexico.

got anything new in the works Rick? :)

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:42 am

ks8 wrote:got anything new in the works Rick? :)
I spent the last seven years working for a non-profit that sucked up every waking moment. I'm back in the real world again where people get weekends off, and am doing a house remodeling project (ceilings and floors mostly, finished the new kitchen in 2014). I've been looking into tiny travel trailers, though, but a largish day sailer (CK17 or ish) is still in my future. I have about 1600 square feet of popcorn ceilings to remove and about that same amount of flooring to replace first.

I'm wondering if anyone on Bateau has designed a teardrop trailer for S&G construction? The only plans I know of are from CLC, and theirs is really tiny (http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/deve ... ailer.html). It's a good looking teardrop, but the construction method is so light that it could easily be two feet longer, making some room for camping gear. This should probably be in a new thread. :)

I'm glad you are having fun with the Caravelle.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:03 am

Good to get an update from you Rick :)

The CLC link has another link within it...

http://www.cooltears.com/

Knowing how resourceful you can be, I'm thinking that you'll spot an ideal shape for a project in that publication (or some other), maybe order the CLC plans, and then adapt general methods to a more suitable end result for you. You could use some software to develop the panels, or cheap wood and 'mold and chinelog' method to mockup full size templates, and there you go. Of course, there is the house ceiling and the floors etc to take care of first.....

But once the project plan is finalized, call in some scouts to help make the rolling tent for the scout master. 8)

Give the thread a try right here on Bateau. Who knows what result it may bring! Maybe a launchable floating teardrop -- not the most beautiful type of boat, since the aerodynamics for high speed low drag and low *load* road travel is a primary program for it, but it certainly would be a bit more broad functioned. A tiny teardrop with rod holders next to the cup holders. :lol: :D

If you begin such a project, feel free to post an occasional progress picture on my thread, if there is no interest elsewhere on the board. But I think there might be interest. George posted his tug boat bed for his son. CL posted his catering tray *boats*. Jacques turned one of his boats into a garden planter (but I don't think he ever posted a picture of that :lol: ). So I believe there could be some interest for your teardrop, particularly if it is launchable, in which case, who knows, maybe Jacques will design it, for securing to a small bunk trailer fitted for it for long distance hauling/camping. It might not be the ideal boat, even an ugly boat, but then, many a house boat are not particularly ideal for on water performance or clean maritime beauty, and are certainly not ideal for low drag highway trailering. *This* design would be clean for low drag low load trailering, and also float you out to catch breakfast without having to rooftop a 'yak or 'noe... or let you drift around in the middle of a lake, looking at the stars through a moon roof. Just a thought, for now. :)

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:02 pm

Guys, I will discuss the teardrop trailer with Jacques on Tuesday!! Might be a good project for him to develop a little larger trailer than CLC's model. CLC's does look nice, just small!! Jeff