I just bought this OB17 inWisconsin

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Daniel Boyle
New Poster
New Poster

I just bought this OB17 inWisconsin

Post by Daniel Boyle » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Hello, I had another thread going but no one answers that one now.
Anyway I have this question about the finish on the OB17.
Here is a pic of the front and as you can see ..you can see the fiberglass cloth where the sides meet the bottom.
I do have some of the cans of resins and such that was given to me.
But what are my options to finish this properly?
Thanks in advance, Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: I just bought this OB17 inWisconsin

Post by pee wee » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:27 pm

You have a few options,
1. plan on a work boat finish- give it a sanding, slap some paint on it and you're done.
2. use some fairing compound (use something like Quick Fair or mix your own with fairing fillers) and blend the fiberglass into the smooth surfaces of the hull and deck, then paint.
Pretty as the wood may look, there isn't a good way to preserve the whole area in a clear finish without the fiberglass showing, and it will require protection from UV rays as well.
Hank

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:54 pm

I'll give you two more options.

1) Lightly sand and clear coat it with a UV protective coating (I just used the clear EMC paint and LOVED it) and live with seeing the fiberglass tape along the edges.

2) Do the same except paint the edges with an opaque paint where you see the tape.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:00 pm

Actually, looking at that picture the previous owner may have already added a UV protective layer. Can you ask them? With all the hardware attached they were not planning to paint it and may have finished it with a varnish or clearcoat on top of the epoxy. If that's the case you can just sand and paint over the areas where you see the tape, or as I said, live with seeing it.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:28 pm

Sure is pretty. I understand why you do not want to cover it up. Capeman probably gave you all the choices there are. He has some really nice clear finish on his boat so knows his stuff. All my work must get covered up :roll:

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:10 pm

If you want to TRY for a more clear look, hand sand a small test area with a 180 grit sanding block or sponge.
When you are sure you have sanded down to the fiberglass, clean the test area thoroughly and give it a few thin coats of properly mixed 2 part epoxy. The multiple coats of clear, un-tinted epoxy will tell you pretty quick if you have any hope of your tape becoming somewhat clear. Don't skip the sanding, this will not be a proper test without this important step.
I faired an entire canoe with strait epoxy over glass and it's extremely hard to see the cloth (even areas with multiple layers).
Granted your tape is most likely heavier but you might be surprised at the results...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

fallguy1000
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:29 am

Function first.

Work surfaces where feet land get marred, it is too frustrating to take your boat out and have your kids get in or spouse with sandy or rocky feet and watch hours of varnish work catch it. So, I would probably be inclined to finish the floor/sole/deck area with something like kiwigrip or paint, only kiwigrip gets dirty and you can't powerwash it if you varnish the sides, but a mixed version with paint or kiwigrip on the deck (you could brush scrub it) with the hatch left brite for contrast would be the way I'd go. Then, the decks are the other decision. They look super nice the way they are now brite, but do you plan to use the boat for fishing. If so, then the decks get all dirty and gross and need cleaning. Brite finishes with varnish are tons of work. I have a brite finished boat. I has about 10 coats of varnish on the decks and about 20 on the foredeck. And it needs periodic rework. If the rest of the deck doesn't look super great, I'd be inclined to paint.

I tried everything to get the picture upright and I'm giving up. You don't see the paint on the bottom because it is protected by a black Chris Craft mat, which would be another option for you and another reason I posted.

The boat in the picture is still not complete, for the record. I'll skip the details, the post is about finishes.
IMG_2214.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:58 pm

Beautiful but it is going to fall, it is upside down. :D
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com