• Sponsored By:

milled fiber, silica, woodflour, cotton flock - use?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.

milled fiber, silica, woodflour, cotton flock - use?

Postby bernd1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:38 pm

Hello @ all,

during watching several catalogs of composite materials I asked myself the use of these materials :

milled fibers, silica, woodflour ,cotton flocks.

I know to make fillets or glue we use woodflour or cotton flocks......but when do I use milled fibers or silica ....or a mix of these components?

Could somebody explain me when to use these different materials - advantage/ disadvantage?
Does a fillet made of cotton flocks be stronger than made of woodflour?

I'm looking forward to your replies.

Thanks
Bernd
bernd1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Sponsored By:

Re: milled fiber, silica, woodflour, cotton flock - use?

Postby Spokaloo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:25 pm

Bernd, search on this forum, or on Google, there's tons of threads on it.

E
Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Postby Paul&Katie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Bernd1 been asking myself the same questions! Here is how I see it. No cotton flock, very hard to sand and hard to distribute evenly in epoxy.

Glue epoxy and woodflour
Filets Epoxy, woodflour and silica

This leaves Milled fibers. When mixed with epoxy in the approprialte quantity this is called liquid fiberglass.

That is all I know and hope this helps you. Still trying to understand all the lingo on this site! LOL

PS Like your GF16 hope you catch many catfish!
Paul&Katie
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Chief Brody » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Milled fibers (not to be confused with chopped fibers,ie 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 inch long) and woodflour basically do the same thing...they are both powders that add density to the epoxy for structuaral strength.....they both can be used for fillets, but wood flour is less expensive and the color blends in and matches the wood that wooden boat builders want....guys doing fiberglass boats would probably use milled fibers to avoid that color mismatch, although it can always be covered up in paint....

Silica is a very lightweight product that thickens very quickly without adding density/weight.....many use a combination of wood flour or milled fibers with the silica to quickly thicken epoxy to a required spreadable consistency, without making the mix too dense...otherwise, you need a lot more flour to get to the same consistency and it becomes too dense and hard to spread smoothly....

Lightweight fairing balloons thicken similarly as silica, but the balloons or spheres are hollow, less dense, and therefore sand very easily....but for this reason, they are not used for structural fillets...

Cotton Flock? Never used em....and with all the other available fillers don't know why one would go that direction....
Chief Brody
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Return to Resins, Fiberglass and Paint