Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Anyone Fishing?

Post by Fuzz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:22 am

Sure is nice to have a wife that likes to fish :!: You got a good one.
The rails on Clara look real nice. You did a good job on the refinish.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:30 am

Yeah...she's a keeper!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:32 am

I've spent the last four days with a couple of mates chasing Barramundi around the Hinchinbrook Channel.

Taking on supplies.

Ready to go.

The boys at work!

Finally spilled some Barramundi blood on the decks!

And again!

Who said you can't take a big boat into skinny water?

Mangrove Jack

Grunter

Heading for home!

The Skipper relaxing while one of the deckies fillets the days catch!

The boat attracts attention wherever it goes. Most common responses are:

"That is a BIG boat"!
"What is it"?
"What size is that motor"?
"Does it GO"!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:02 am

BarraMan, Great to see that BIG boat in SKINNY water and even better to see you guys catching fish!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:40 pm

BarraMan it is great to see your boat fulfilling the dream you had while building her. And to be able to do it with your sons has got to be the best.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:55 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:40 pm
BarraMan it is great to see your boat fulfilling the dream you had while building her. And to be able to do it with your sons has got to be the best.
Ha!

Fuzz, you are right ............ but those two blokes are not my sons. They are two of a small group of "adopted" sons that I have accumulated over the last couple of years. I met them on an internet fishing forum where they were looking for advice on fishing the Hinchinbrook Channel, where they were headed for a houseboat-based "boys" fishing trip. We have since become good friends. They are from down south but just love chasing Barramundi. I really enjoy hanging out with them because of their love of fishing and enthusiasm for life. It great to fish with them because they know what they are doing and look after themselves. I just take them to where the fish are - or should be. We split the direct costs of the trip - accommodation, fuel etc - which makes for a cheap trip for them and good company for me. They are of similar age to my sons, and my younger son (the fisherman) often comes on these trips when he can.

The same two were up last September, when we had a ball. I managed to put them onto a couple of hot bites. This trip was harder going. Day 1 we got amongst some nice Barra, boated a couple, but dropped more - including two of the biggest Barra on lure that I have witnessed. I had a Barra in the 80 - 100 cm (30 - 40 inch) range "blow" the split rings on a vibe lure. Given that I had upgraded the hooks and rings, I was not impressed with that.

The bloke in the pic with the mangrove jack is an ex-professional crab fisherman who now runs a marine dealership. He had a Barra around the metre (40 inch) mark take his lure, then come out of the water and spit it back at him. Some bad language followed.

The rest of the trip was a bit quiet for Barra but a variety of other species were caught. Mangrove Jack, Fingermark, Grunter - all good eating fish but not as much fun to catch as Barra.

In April 2018 we are all going to King Ash Bay, near Borroloola on the McArthur River in the Northern Territory for 10 days fishing on a houseboat. Both of my boats are going to be towed up there - 4000 km (2500 mile) round trip!

Google: "Fishing the McArthur River".

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:45 am

Heading to Leeville S. LA> to Speckled Trout & chase Redfish too this week.

But nothing like those Barramundi , Wow.

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:53 am

Some jacka$$ told his wife he would not go fishing until he completed his boat. What a stupid moron. I'm watching folks pulling in reds off the end of Paris Island and feeling all left out.

Good luck to all you smarter folks that don't do stupid things like that.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:25 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:53 am
Some jacka$$ told his wife he would not go fishing until he completed his boat. What a stupid moron. I'm watching folks pulling in reds off the end of Paris Island and feeling all left out.

Good luck to all you smarter folks that don't do stupid things like that.
Just remember, Even the most stubborn Jacka$$ will move to get a drink of water! Tell her you got thirsty!!