Just prime or finish painting before flip?

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Just prime or finish painting before flip?

Post by csotelo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Hello,

I think it´s personal, but I´m seen several builds fliping on prime and on paint and could not decide what to do.

I´d like to have an opinion from experience builders about the bads and the goods of both ways.

Thanks!!

Carlos Sotelo

joe2700
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Just prime or finish painting before flip?

Post by joe2700 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:44 pm

I've been pondering this too. I don't want to paint the waterline until I mark it in the water, but it's so much easier to paint before flipping. What I've settled on but not done yet is paint the actual bottom, everywhere the trailer would obstruct now. Then I can mark the waterline later and bring the paint up to where it should be. Who knows if it's a good idea or not.

Many people here use a graphite-epoxy bottom finish which might be why so many finish the bottom before flipping. I'll be using normal bottom paint, need the anti fouling.

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi Joe,

This is what I thought, after flip, I can´t paint the bottom in one session and I´m concerned about how paint will blend.

I will skip the graphite too, my resin is too thick and it will became a slurry impossible to roll with graphite.

Thanks!

Benny Howard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Benny Howard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:25 pm

IMHO, it would be best to flip and paint the outside as soon as possible or according to the plans. A smaller hull might not be a problem but something
as large as my xf20 hull was hard to handle. I went too far on the interior before flipping to paint the outside.

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi Benny,

I decided to flip and just paint after finish deck and holes in the hull.

Thanks for the advice!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:24 pm

There is no reason not to prime and paint before flipping especially on a larger boat or one with a console or cabin. Whether you use graphite powder or true bottom paint, the DWL is listed on the plans or study plans. This is measured from the keel and once measured on the transom can be transitioned to the sides with a laser lever. Paint the bottom to this level, then to the sides to meat them and ready to flip. You should have painted the wood rub rails to match the sides on the sides and bottoms of them, most people use a black rubber cover over the wood rub rails.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.