Row 13 build

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Row 13 build

Post by Dougster » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:44 pm

Nice project with your son. I don't know about the Row 13 plans, but typically you don't attach panels to the frames so much. Probably stitch the upper and lower panels together to let the boat find its shape by "free floating" on the frames as much as possible. Others who know the plans better will comment. And just how did you talk mom into an in house build? :D

Dougster

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:51 pm

I have never built one of those so take this with a grain of salt. I believe you should stitch the bottom and all the side panels together. Do not hard mount things first. You need to be able to move the panels to ensure fairness. No two pieces ever bend the same so you need a little wiggle room. Fairness is the number one thing you are looking for. Getting that correct now will save you a ton of work later on.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:57 pm

The build instructions should state the level of attachment. For the v12 it is the "temporarily attach to frames with brads" and "use screws to attach to the transom". All are later removed. Look for something along those lines.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:13 pm

No fixing called for or required. Using cable ties you attach all panels together loosely over the jig, then progressively tighten the ties until the gaps between the panels are ok, and each panel is fair. No panel should be touching another.

For my R13 build it took me three tries over three nights, and three lots of cable ties, before I got a satisfactory result. To pull the bow panels together at the gunwale line, I needed to use a through bolt. By then everything else was nicely spaced, and the use of the bolt did not affect this.
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

ahinkle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ahinkle » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:39 pm

Thanks again for all the info! Really helpful!

glossieblack, your R13 looks awesome! And I like your new project. Why the ST21? Is it for cruising or fishing?
Andrew

Building my first boat to be named Slow Motion, a.k.a. R13

ahinkle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ahinkle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:19 am

I am now done stitching the lower and upper panels. Now I must stitch the bottom panel on. Before I do, I am wondering whether I should fix where the lower chine panels come together at the bow. They do not meet at the edge butt overlap. There is a tremendous amount of pressure at this point How do I go about fixing this so the panels meet correctly?
Attachments
20170619_071249.jpg
Andrew

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:32 am

Take the wire out drill bigger holes in the panel for strong zip ties ,cut some 3/4 inch pvc pipe into 2 Inch sections.
Put the zip ties through the holes with the pvc pipe behind the panels and tight each slowly until they almost touch .
A slight gap is good . The PVC pipe should keep the panels from rolling under each other .
Novi 23 finally launched !

ahinkle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ahinkle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:17 am

Thanks Topwater! I'll try that!
Andrew

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:55 pm

What Topwater said is the way to go. I think I have pictures under the bow of my FS18 with about 40 PVC pieces zip tied in to pull it all together nicely. It's a really great way to zip tie the entire hull, not just the tough spots like at the bow. I don't know how you could line up all those long thin ply strips on the rounded chine of the FS18 without the PVC. Also, the zip ties will be easier to use and apply a lot of pressure compared to the wires. If you want to see how they look, my pics are under album title 'mike's FS18 build in the gallery. Good luck with the build. I love the look of that hull. Mike

ahinkle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ahinkle » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Thanks Seaslug! I tried finding that pic. I found the gallery, but not the pic...

Andrew
Andrew