Narfi's HC14 build thread - LAUNCHED

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Narfi's HC14

Post by narfi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:30 am

Tonight I finished planing the tops of the rub rails to "good enough"
20170811_230057.jpg

then I dug out the router and played with it a little then took a few passes with it at the bottom side of the rubrail.
20170811_230229.jpg
20170811_230142.jpg
Learned (hopefully) a few things. Primarily to be more careful not to gouge out material I want left smooth.......
20170811_230327.jpg
I will try to take another pass at it tomorow removing about 1/8th inch more. This will hopefully remove that gouge and finish off the couple of areas not cleaned out yet underneath.
20170811_230412.jpg

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by narfi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:12 am

Finished routing the underside of the rub rails and learned a lesson.....
Even with the depth lock on the adjustment ring vibrates around and changes the depth of the bit. I dug into the side panel a but before I could figure out what was going on...... the worst areas are through the outer layer of plywood but most is just a thumbnail or two. 3/4 of the rail is fine it's just the last 1/4 or so I need to go back and fill.
Also had one more slip and grind on the front point of the rail I will need to fill as well.

20170812_235527.jpg
Rough cut the compartment bulkhead and breasthooks.
20170812_235611.jpg
Gave what will be the insides of the panels a liberal coat of epoxy.
20170812_235901.jpg
Cut and glued the cross prices for the seats.
I decided to move them both 4.5 inches toward the center..... hopefully its a good idea and I don't have to cut it all out later.
20170812_235653.jpg
Decided to go with the damn dam and thickened epoxy for waterproofing where the holes at each end will go for carrying ropes.
20170812_235730.jpg
20170812_235817.jpg
Not shown is the dam that broke and poured epoxy everywhere I didn't want it......

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:50 am

Hi,
You are making nice progress and I admire you using a router. I own such a thing ( inherited from my fathers workshop ) but will most probably not learn how to use that thing ever. I used it together with a jig to take material gradually off my centreboard. I was only partially successful and had to work a lot with a rotary sander to make it acceptable.
Keep posting I love looking at all your pictures.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:59 am

Your dam looks better than the one on my plyak. I had the same leaky damn dam experience you did :) Your build looks fun and I bet she'll be more fu to use.

Dougster

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:41 am

I was worried that technique with the router was going to run into problems, but I didn't have a better idea to offer. Once the rub rail pieces are glued down it's the bottom edges that are tough to smooth up. I'm thinking next time dry fitting them, maybe with positioning dowels, and get the bottom edge in shape while you can still carry pieces to the work bench. There's always another way to do things, that's why you're smart to build the canoe first! Looking good and coming right along. Your seats and how they attach to the sides- will you glue a batten to the hull for extra glue area?
Hank

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:40 am

Since I did an inwale, the concave curve did not allow for a router, at least anyway I could figure. So I did it by hand, which in my case was OK since the bottom edge is very hard to see without performing contortions.
It's too late now I suppose, but wouldn't a shoulder plane work for the bottom edge?
Beautiful work. I'm sure you'll fill those dings and before long they will fade in memory.
Tony

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by narfi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Honestly I was very happy with the results of the router.
The uniform height of the rail once the top is planed/shaped/sanded to a fair (to the eye) look and curve is very nice.

Sure I'm learning and made mistakes but nothing that can't be fixed easily and the results look great.

I think that planing the bottom and top each separately would end up with a random hourglass shaped rubrail which would end up bothering my eyes each time I saw it.

Yes. I will have batons glued to the hull for the seats as well. Not sure if this was the best way to start but after staring at it for to long I decided some sort of progress would be better than nothing..... worst case I learn something and cut it off and try again. After which I won't have lost any ground but learned something and perhaps a better idea....

bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigyellowtractor » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Here's (a really crap, sorry) picture of my painter/hanging holes

IMG_7440.JPG

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by narfi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:32 pm

That looks really clean!
Wish you had got a few pictures of your process making the tubes and how they look inside the hull as well :p

I think the dam idea is easier but is very ugly inside (though mostly hidden up under the breasthooks in a closed up compartment.

bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigyellowtractor » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:41 pm

narfi wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:32 pm
That looks really clean!
Wish you had got a few pictures of your process making the tubes and how they look inside the hull as well :p

I think the dam idea is easier but is very ugly inside (though mostly hidden up under the breasthooks in a closed up compartment.
Sorry, I never take enough pictures of anything. I think the problem is that we are up against time a bit with epoxy and generally covered in the stuff so I'm reluctant to pick up the camera :D

Your little barge is looking very fine. I had a little sit in mine today, I have to say it feels pretty small 8O