FS13 vs SK14

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Yowie13
New Poster
New Poster

FS13 vs SK14

Post by Yowie13 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:24 am

Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy plans immediately for either the FS13 or FK14.

I will be solo fishing from it and using a SUP paddle to move it around small creeks and impoundments until funds allow an electric motor for it.

I was wondering how well balanced they are when moving around the grab rail in the centre? Or are they a case of being stuck at the back of the skiff the whole time? I'm 6'4 and approx 250lbs but can SUP no worries.

I will also be lifting the skiff onto the roof of my vehicle to transport it around.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS13 vs FK14

Post by Dougster » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:12 am

I'm 5' 11" and 180 lbs and can move around the grab rail easily enough on my SK14, but no way at age 68 would I lift it up top of my truck. It's pretty heavy, with all foam underneath the sole. Don't know the weight, sorry, but she rides like nothing on an inexpensive little Academy trailer. I have a bow mounted troll motor with battery in the stern which are both removable and move the skiff very well. Maybe you could get it on on your roof racks. I guess tip the bow up and slide it, I've never tried. The FS13 would have been too tippy in my case, but that's me.

Without any motor, I'd think I'd be fine with either one though, since I wouldn't fear a tip so much. Once I strap that 50 lb. battery and cost too much trolling motor on though, I sure don't want to roll her over! I will say I love the design and could probably sell her easily if I wanted because I do get looks and comments when I take her out.

Probably not much help Dougster

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS13 vs SK14

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:57 am

It's SK14, I corrected the title.
One is bigger than the other and also heavier.
The SK14 is closer to a boat, can take a small outboard and can take more weight.
It will not paddle as well as the FS13.
The FS13 is narrower, less stable but still more stable than most SUP's.
If you are comfortable with a standard SUP, it will be fine.
It can take a trolling motor and battery, an outboard is borderline.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi,
Everything Jacques said is true and if you really want to put it on a roof carrier than I would advise you to build the FS13 lifting the bow up to the roof carrier and then pushing it completely up I think I could do it even at my age ( 72 ). The FS13 is very stable and carries my weight ( 250 pounds ) easily with battery and electric outboard and it paddles well which you can see on the following picture. I mounted a stool behind the grab bar to have it really easy to move on the water. The second picture shows me with the electric outboard which one needs to use with an extension tiller because the best place to be on the boat is in the middle.
Let us know what You decide FS13 or SK14.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Yowie13
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Yowie13 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I'll probably end up going with the FS13, just waiting final quotes for the fibreglass shop for the required consumables.

I want to avoid a trailer as in Australia you have to pay $80/year rego then insure it which I don't want that expense on a small skiff.

How do you go walking around the frame to the front of the skiff Karl?

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:49 am

Hi yowie13.
I am building the sk14 on the gold coast. I am more than happy to chat/share my limited knowledge with you.
Let me know if you want a sticky beak.

mat

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:07 am

Hi Yowie13,
Never saw you asked me a question. Here is my answer : I cannot walk around the frame ( I think you mean the wooden grab rail ) to the front of the skiff, because if I put my weight on one side it would capsize. I did capsize the FS13 while I was standing next to it in 3 foot of water just to see how it behaves. It turned itself immediately upright again and the water ran out through the 2 drain holes at the transom. I was most impressed.
I agree with you licence and insurance for a trailer is not necessary for a small skiff and therefore it is definitely advisable to put it on the roof carrier.
Have you made up your mind yet which boat to build ?
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433