SK14 using a 9.9hp outboard motor

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeffst
New Poster
New Poster

SK14 using a 9.9hp outboard motor

Post by Jeffst » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:22 pm

Hope everyone has had a great week. I'm getting ready to purchase the SK14 kit. Quick question, I already have a 9.9hp outboard I can use. Can I do anything to the boat design to get it rated for the 9.9 motor? Thanks Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SK14 using a 9.9hp outboard motor

Post by Jeff » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Jeffst, First welcome to our Builders Forum!! I think you will enjoy the membership here as the builders are great and provide superior guidance and support!! I think you need to reach-out to SeaSlug (Mike is his real name) as he built a beautiful SK14 recently and I think I remember he put a 7 HP Mercury on it!! I am sure Jacques, the Designer, will also respond back with guidance for a 10 HP on the SK14!! Again, welcome to our forum!! Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:41 pm

5, 7,8, 10 HP, the boat can take it, the transom can take it but it may become tricky to handle at excessive speed. There is somewhere on youtube a video of the SK14 running fast with a 10 HP (there is a link on the forum). Just be careful, it is possible to get in troubles going too fast.
There is no law to say that you can't put a 25 on there but we tested it with max. 8 and that is why I rated it at max. 8 HP.
If the SK14 was in production, it would be another matter. It would have to be tested with a 10 doing the USCG course.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:26 pm

I have a 6hp Merc on my SK14, and I think I built mine a little heavy. I've only had it in the water twice, very briefly, but with my weight, 175 lbs. it planes easily and top speed was 18mph. I think an 8hp would be perfect, a 9.9 would probably be fine. I didn't put a skeg on the bottom, but it would be a good idea to help keep it from sliding in turns. Mike