Pre-Purchase SK 14 Questions

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Plumbwader
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:38 am
Location: South Texas

Re: Pre-Purchase SK 14 Questions

Post by Plumbwader » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:05 pm

Ok so ive been talking to a guy that has one with an 8hp tohatsu and he says he wishes he would have gone with a 6hp. Im a big guy (260) and will only be running it solo. I was thinking about running the 9.8 tohatsu because it is the same weight as the 8hp but 30 lbs more than the 6. What do you guys think? Im also planning on running a trolling motor. Will the 6 move me? I have a bead on one for a decent price and i want to procure the motor before i get the kit. I also would love a list of the necessary tools I will need for this project.



Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2711
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:05 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Pre-Purchase SK 14 Questions

Post by Dougster » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:17 pm

I don't know if 6 will plane you, but suspect it will. Unfortunately I haven't gotten an outboard for mine yet to compare. I weigh 185 and think a 6 would do well for me, but wonder about the Minn Kota troll battery. The dang troll motors take big deep cycle batteries that are heavy (mine is 50 lbs) unless you shell out for the for now very pricey lithium ion ones. It's on a quick release mount so I could run w/o it if need be. I'm looking at the Tohatsu 5 hp propane motor, 'cus I'm sick of worrying about gummy carbs from fuel problems. I'm not handy with motors and have troubles with mowers, chain saw, blower, weed eater, etc.

30 more lbs sounds like a lot for the 9.8 and that seems like a lot of horses for the little SK14 anyway. I wouldn't want to over power mine, sounds a little dangerous. Wish I could be of more help.

Dougster

Plumbwader
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:38 am
Location: South Texas

Re: Pre-Purchase SK 14 Questions

Post by Plumbwader » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Dougster wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:17 pm
I don't know if 6 will plane you, but suspect it will. Unfortunately I haven't gotten an outboard for mine yet to compare. I weigh 185 and think a 6 would do well for me, but wonder about the Minn Kota troll battery. The dang troll motors take big deep cycle batteries that are heavy (mine is 50 lbs) unless you shell out for the for now very pricey lithium ion ones. It's on a quick release mount so I could run w/o it if need be. I'm looking at the Tohatsu 5 hp propane motor, 'cus I'm sick of worrying about gummy carbs from fuel problems. I'm not handy with motors and have troubles with mowers, chain saw, blower, weed eater, etc.

30 more lbs sounds like a lot for the 9.8 and that seems like a lot of horses for the little SK14 anyway. I wouldn't want to over power mine, sounds a little dangerous. Wish I could be of more help.

Dougster

What would you say are some must have tools and supplies I am going to need for this project? I'd like to start getting some gathered up.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4279
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:17 pm
Location: Vero Beach

Re: Pre-Purchase SK 14 Questions

Post by Jeff » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:51 pm

Plumbwader, do you plan to buy the Complete SK14 Kit including the CNC Cut Marine Plywood or are you planning to buy the marine plywood and cut it yourself as this will make a difference in the tools you will need. Jeff

User avatar
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:14 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Pre-Purchase SK 14 Questions

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:02 pm

Frank in Japan just finish building a NICE SK14 with 6 ponies on it and I want to say he mentioned he was close to the 220 or 240lb mark.
He posted a video in a little chop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt0h42bm9yg

Plumbwader
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:38 am
Location: South Texas

Re: Pre-Purchase SK 14 Questions

Post by Plumbwader » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:57 pm

Jeff wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:51 pm
Plumbwader, do you plan to buy the Complete SK14 Kit including the CNC Cut Marine Plywood or are you planning to buy the marine plywood and cut it yourself as this will make a difference in the tools you will need. Jeff
I'm going to get the pre-cut kit.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4279
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:17 pm
Location: Vero Beach

Re: Pre-Purchase SK 14 Questions

Post by Jeff » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:20 pm

Plumbwader, good that will help the builders in telling you what tools you will need and a pre-cut kit will cut down on the tools purchase for you!! Jeff

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2711
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:05 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Pre-Purchase SK 14 Questions

Post by Dougster » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:30 pm

With the kit you won't be cutting out the panels so you don't really need a power saw. A nice little Japanese hand pull saw would be handy. The one power tool I'd say for sure to get is a sander, a random orbit. Folks seem to like the Bosch a lot. I have the Festool 150 with mini vac which is pricey but great. You'll needs lots of sandpaper, both for the power sander and hand sanding. Get plenty of 80 grit and maybe some 60. You can make two long boards for sanding: one stiff and rigid for flat surfaces and one one flexible for curves.

You'll develop your own stuff for epoxy. I use plastic cups from the Dollar store to mix and cheapo plastic tablespoon/teaspoon set for mixing small amounts. Zip ties for stitching up the panels. Get a big long roll of packing tape to seal the back side of seams, cuz epoxy won't stick to it. Nice pair of scissors to cut the glass cloth. Good quality quart baggies to put fillet mix epoxy in (to cut off a corner and pipe along the seam).

Oh, and a good level. I have a 6' one and a smaller one and use 'em both. A little low angle hand plane is handy. And clamps. get about 3 million of 'em :lol: Lot of this stuff you'll buy/borrow along the way as needed though. Other folks will think of more.

Dougster

User avatar
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 1495
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 8:29 am
Location: Georgia

Re: Pre-Purchase SK 14 Questions

Post by pee wee » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:04 am

You didn't indicate what kind of tools you may already own, but you'll want a tape measure and a square for sure.

Drill/screw gun will come in handy for assembling the strongback and molds.

A shop vac with good filter is handy; you can attach one to many sanders, also, to keep the air and work space cleaner.

There's a thread dedicated to favorite boat building tools, but if you won't be using the tools after your build is complete you may want to demonstrate to us how few tools you can get by with!

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=62082
Hank

Plumbwader
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:38 am
Location: South Texas

Re: Pre-Purchase SK 14 Questions

Post by Plumbwader » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:07 am

pee wee wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:04 am
You didn't indicate what kind of tools you may already own, but you'll want a tape measure and a square for sure.

Drill/screw gun will come in handy for assembling the strongback and molds.

A shop vac with good filter is handy; you can attach one to many sanders, also, to keep the air and work space cleaner.

There's a thread dedicated to favorite boat building tools, but if you won't be using the tools after your build is complete you may want to demonstrate to us how few tools you can get by with!

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=62082
I have a lot of carpentry tools so I think I am good there but I don't have any fibreglass working tools. On another note, I am picking up a 8hp 2 stroke Yamaha short shaft tomorrow morning so I am getting committed to the project for real!!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests