CR13 Question for Jacques

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CR13 Question for Jacques

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:27 pm

I checked the plans and see specs for 3 types of masts, including a wooden one. The diameters are correct but be certain that the wood and glued seams are in good condition. It must be a solid mast, for a hollow one, the plans say to increase diameters by 20%.

Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

sal
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sal » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:02 pm

Hi Jacques : I noted something in Expande Plates of Cr13 plans ,for the forward section of bottom panel there is a note to see "full size pattern of Bow Mold " I don't understand if this has anything to do with cutting the forward piece of bottom panel as shown in expande plates .Can you explain ?
thanks Sal

sal
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sal » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi Jacques: as I look over CR 13 plans, I think the dagger board (3 layers of 1/2 inch ply) is overkill for a boat this size ,shouldn't two plies be enough? on the other hand, I think the rudder is too small ( the surface area in the water could be wider and deeper) for better steering and tacking .
Sal

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:36 am

It could be made from 2 layers, not 3. I had plywood left in the nesting and decided to use it on the daggerboard.
3 layers is exceedingly strong but it allows for a nice profile. That is why I decided on a thick daggerboard: slightly better profile.
Do what you want but if you use only two layers, reduce the width of the trunk accordingly. This is easily done by adding a layer of ply inside the trunk.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com