Hiawatha 14 measurement

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
skorchio
New Poster
New Poster

Hiawatha 14 measurement

Post by skorchio » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:14 am

Folks

I am cutting panels on my first build. I am finding that a point in the chine panel is missing a measurement, perhaps someone has asked this before.

In the pic, the red line is not defined. On the upper panel, them same measurement is annotated. Is it supposed to be assumed that the red line measurement is the same in both panels, namely 354mm ?

Thanks
Geoff
Attachments
hiawatha_14_missing_measurement.png

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hiawatha 14 measurement

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:55 am

It's 352 mm. 354 would have worked just as well.
I see the dimension in imperial but not in metric. I"l check the printfiles.
Sorry about that.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

skorchio
New Poster
New Poster

Post by skorchio » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:00 am

No harm done. Well not from this issue, however my plywood is of a completely unacceptable quality. It is Meranti BS 1088 from Malaysia, provided by a decent merchant with a broad product range. As I am cutting, the face sheet is in places already separated from the core sheet. I will not be progressing with this XXXX. Also the face sheet has dents and irregularities. They are coming back to pick it all up tomorrow and give full refund. Apparently I am not the only customer who has complained about this batch ......

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:14 am

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to see you having problems with your plywood. Hope you get better stuff after the refund. It is great the seller is refunding your money. Be sure and post pictures as you get your build going!
OQ

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:17 am

skorchio, Welcome to our Builders Forum!!! Sorry to hear about your Meranti Marine Plywood!! There is so much fake Marine Plywood out there!! We see fake stuff about once a week!! You will find some real Meranti!! Again, welcome, Jeff

skorchio
New Poster
New Poster

Post by skorchio » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:23 am

Well I got my refund and I bought another 3 sheets of Meranti from another supplier. The feel is much different, it is heavier and a lovely red colour. So the canoe is half built, and I was awaiting some fiberglass tape which I ordered online. It arrived today, and I am not sure I can use it. It is a very tight and fine woven tape. I attach a pic. I am in Thailand and had to hunt a bit to find this product, it is described online as heat retarding product for motorbike exhausts and such. Does anyone have an opinion of this stuff?

Is it necessary that the glass weave is loose and open?

Thanks

PS my finger for scale is a normal sized finger
Attachments
P3220808.JPG

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:01 pm

If that is the stuff, and it looks like it, that is made to wrap hot exhausts I do not think it is what you want to use. At the very least I would make up a test panel before trying to use it.

skorchio
New Poster
New Poster

Post by skorchio » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:13 pm

I am thinking the same. I put it across my mouth and tried to draw air through it - the material is quite airtight, i think it would take a while for resin to completely soak through, which is not ideal. The roll is really heavy, I believe it to be good quality material, for another purpose. I am going to buy regular cloth and cut the tape from it, as I did for what I have built so far. It makes for a messy process as the edges are frayed and there are strands coming loose, but it works. Thanks

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:19 am

The glass is there to not only water proof but to add strength also. I am not sure that stuff will do what you want. I would make up some small test pieces and try to find out if it will work for you.