Row 13 build

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Row 13 build

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:22 pm

I don't see that deck joint in the pictures, I suppose it's a modification but in the case of a deck or sole, a butt block under the seam is much stronger than a fiberglass splice. In all my decks and soles, I always show butt blocks. It is also stronger than a scarf. What we look for is stiffness and you get much more stiffness from a butt block thanks to the extra plywood layer.

Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:10 am

Jacques, the way I read it, he is trying to avoid buying another sheet of plywood, by splicing two smaller pieces together to make the part he needs.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:12 pm

Netpackrat wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:10 am
Jacques, the way I read it, he is trying to avoid buying another sheet of plywood, by splicing two smaller pieces together to make the part he needs.
Without a butt block, it will flex. If there are no marine ply pieces leftover, how about using using a small plank?

Reklus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Reklus » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:33 pm

ahinkle wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:07 pm
Thanks Jeff. I was afraid you'd say that. Seems like butt blocks is a common theme.

How would I determine how level the decks are. I would thinking about filling the bow and stern areas with water and marking where the water line is. What do y'all think about that?
Decks
Idk much but if it were me id level the boat... pick the height i wanted for the deck... and use a long level or board with a level up top ? Would an approach like that work opposed to making a bath tub ... great looking boat btw!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:57 pm

As soon as somebody moves a couple of inches in a small boat, it will not be level anymore.
Maybe the question is: how can I guarantee that the decks are all in the same plane (coplanar), at the same level?
That is easy: drop a 2x4 on it or any other straight beam. Does it matter? Not for the boat's performance.

ahinkle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ahinkle » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks for your advice on the deck!

Just got back from a camping trip where I splashed the boat for the first time. With my boy in the front, she rides level. Without my son, she needs two bags of wood.

https://youtu.be/UWG6GN7WpyQ
Andrew

Building my first boat to be named Slow Motion, a.k.a. R13

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:14 pm

Boat looks very nice.
With just one in the boat you really need a tiller extension and sitting in the middle to make her run right.

ahinkle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ahinkle » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:43 am

That's exactly what I was thinking when I was out there. When I was by myself and my son was at camp, I put two bags of wood in the bow. That worked pretty well too, but I won't what to do when she has a deck and painted.
Andrew

Building my first boat to be named Slow Motion, a.k.a. R13

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:20 am

Great fun!
Tiller extension and sit on the middle thwart, she'll level out.
I wish I had been able to build this boat, but it wouldn't have fit inside my van. It will make a great rowboat so don't neglect figuring out the placement of the oarlocks.
Tony

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:13 pm

You could get some big water jugs and fill them up when you need to ballast the front. Then if you take on a passenger or other cargo you can just empty them out. Possibly get the collapsible kind. I would rather do that than use a tiller extension. You looked nearly on the verge of swamping in the video.