Plyak12 - A question about glassing

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
gbgb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Plyak12 - A question about glassing

Post by gbgb » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:26 pm

I just glassed the hull and not so sure about the epoxy quantity.
The cloth is fully saturated, transparent, and adhered to the plywood. But running the edge of a plastic spatula over the surface I can still hear/feel the weave.
Is this enough or should the epoxy "fill" the cloth so that the weave is totally under its surface?
Or can this be done at later stage when fairing.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Plyak12 - A question about glassing

Post by Fuzz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:50 pm

If you can feel the weave after it cures it means you did the glassing just right :D You want the glass pulled down tight with no excess resin and it sounds like that is what you did. You can fill the weave when you fair.

gbgb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gbgb » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks,
I also looked at some videos and decided that I did it almost OK - decided that it was a bit too little epoxy, so just put another thin layer (about a quarter of the quantity that was required for the initial glassing) - still feeling the weave.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:57 pm

Are you going for a bright finish or will you be painting the boat?

Your answer will help to determine what to do next.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:16 pm

gbgb wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:26 pm
I just glassed the hull and not so sure about the epoxy quantity.
The cloth is fully saturated, transparent, and adhered to the plywood. But running the edge of a plastic spatula over the surface I can still hear/feel the weave.
Is this enough or should the epoxy "fill" the cloth so that the weave is totally under its surface?
Or can this be done at later stage when fairing.
For woven cloths; a neat coat is kind of nice. 2 oz per square yard. Best done within the window or you need to sand lightly.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

gbgb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gbgb » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:14 pm

Are you going for a bright finish or will you be painting the boat?
Initial attempt is for bright finis and only if finish quality is not good enough paint it.
Anyhow, this morning after the epoxy cured I can still feel the weave, but the epoxy sure got into it and mostly filled it.
My current plan is to continue as I did so far until the boat is structurally complete, and then apply a final slightly thickened coat for finishing, fair it as required and apply a clear finish.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:05 pm

For a bright finish, you will need at least two fill coats of epoxy after glassing and then sand with 100-120 grit. After sanding put on another coat of epoxy. Sand again with 200-320 grit. Then three coats minimum of spar varnish.

When you are done it will look like this:

For more pictures there is a build thread on the forum for the Plyak I built.

gbgb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gbgb » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:24 am

Thanks Browndog.
Yes - It was looking at your building thread that inspired my decision. Not sure I will be able to get such a good result, but will certainly try.
Question - "spar varnish" - is that a two component varnish or is it the single component that is also called "yacht varnish"?

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:38 pm

Spar Varnish comes in both one & two part versions. I’ve found the two part version is more durable than the one part. The Spar Varnish is needed because it provides UV protection for the epoxy. If stored outdoors you will have to revarnish the boat every 2-3 years. If stored out of the sun you won’t have to revarnish as often.

A bright finish is really not more difficult or time consuming than getting a high quality painted finish. With paint you need to sand, fair, prime and then paint.

The Plyak I built was for a local non profit organization. I donated the materials and labor and then they auctioned the boat off at their annual fundraiser.