FS14LS+10% Scupper Design

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
VT_Jeff
Active Poster
Active Poster

FS14LS+10% Scupper Design

Post by VT_Jeff » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:37 pm

My fs14ls will have a sealed bilge and a sole from bow to transom, scuppers through each frame and scuppers though the transom.

The sole aft of the last frame will be thinner ply(4mm vs 9mm) and thus a little lower than the cockpit sole to help keep incidental water from back-flowing into the cockpit. Likewise, I'll raise the sole ahead of the cockpit to prevent water from moving forward.

Planning on using some stick-on flappers on the transom to reduce back-flow.

Planning on drilling out two 2" holes in each frame and transom with a holesaw and then cutting the drilled plug in half and replacing it in the bottom half of the hole to create a semi-circle scupper, frowning.

I'm at the point of installing the aft-most frame and want to drill/fill these scuppers before I set the frame, and so want to sanity check the whole scupper idea before proceeding. I'll drill the transom just before installing the aft sole.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

Jeff

There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14LS+10% Scupper Design

Post by OneWayTraffic » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:19 pm

I'd glue in some fibreglass tubes (tape over a pool noodle) and use layflat hose or wetsuit material scuppers. Rib style. The flappers kind of work, but you will be getting backflow.